Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Battery Size and Type  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-24-2005 12:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Tim Knowlton

I may be in the market for a new battery. What is the type and size that all are using?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-24-2005 01:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Joseph Mazurk

HI Tim,

I use an Interstate 51R and it fits perfectly in the battery tray of my GT but I am sure it will fit in the JH battery tray also. I plan on buying the Interstate 51R for the JH when its battery dies.

Joseph Mazurk

Chicago, IL

Posted: 05-24-2005 04:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Group 56 works for me (at least that's what I've been using all these years) and is still be available from some manufacturers, at least here in the U.S. My favorite battery these days is from Autozone- the Duralast. Autozone Duralast batteries are built by Johnson controls and have more plates per square inch than any battery made. They also put anti-sulfating tablets in the battery so it will not sulfate which leads to shorted or dead cells. I've had great luck with these and use them all my cars now for years. I think they come with a 60 month warranty. At around $60, probably the best deal you'll ever find on a car battery. On one of my cars, the crazy dealers get almost $300 for a crummy battery (one year warranty) and install, go figure. The "Duralast Gold" is a bit more but offers 700 Cold and 875 Cranking amps, plenty for any British car.

I'm not too keen on the Interstate batteries (although I know many people think they are just fine)- I've had numerous problems with those.

Group 56-

(Length x Width x Height)

254 x 154 x 212 millimeters

10 x 6 1/16 x 8 3/8 inches

--------------------

Group 51R (for comparison)

238 x 129 x 223 millimeters

9 3/8 x 5 1/16 x 8 13/16

Posted: 05-24-2005 09:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jim Ketcham

I too have found the Group 56 to fit nicely.  The height of the 51 scares me a little as the positive terminal seems to be getting close to the hood.

Posted: 06-24-2012 01:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
wtberks

I just bought a Group 56 Duralast battery from Autozone and I it does not fit my GT. It is just a bit too wide and will not fit between the back of the batter compartment and the piece of sheet metal that comes down from the inner fender. It is about 3/8 of an inch too wide.

I am going to exchange it for a 51R and hope that it is not too tall.

Posted: 06-24-2012 02:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jim Ketcham

It appears that some group 56 batteries have an extruded lip on the bottom that make them too wide. I've trimmed off the lip with a dremel tool to successfully fit these.

Posted: 06-24-2012 10:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Mason Jones

I've got a Duralast 34-DL which fits perfectly size-wise but the positive terminal is on the right. It's the one that was in the car when I bought it.

I researched all the Duralast batteries at Autozone and they don't carry that size with a left pos terminal. The closest are: 86-DL & 56-DL both of which are smaller than the 34-DL.

With the 34-DL the positive cable does reach if you orient the terminals on the firewall side. But it makes it a little scary checking the oil because your hand is dangerously close to the positive terminal while your groin is against the side of the car.

Posted: 06-25-2012 04:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
dwalls1

I'm running a Dura Last 36R-DL. It may have required some tweaking of the battery box, I don't remember for sure. It is a nice fit though, the height just clearing the spring hook for the right hand hood balance spring. The previous battery was the same size, but a different brand.

Posted: 06-26-2012 04:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I have an Autolite 84 month, group 56 in my JH. It fits perfectly with no room to spare.

Posted: 06-05-2013 04:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
pc

Been a few years since this discussion was started, long enough for some old batteries to die and be replaced.

And I need a new battery. So, I figured I'd ask if there are any new developments.

Any new batteries to add to the list?
Any new developments with old batteries?
Any new info on fit or clearances?

What's everybody got in there cars today?
How did the install go?
Any issues or concerns?
Any tips or tricks?

Please mention which car, JH or GT (please also note if yours happens to be RHD, otherwise we'll assume it's LHD),
battery make, model and size.

I'll start out, as I just pulled the old battery from my JH.
It was an Interstate MT-42, which is, strangely enough, group size 42.
It never actually fit right, so don't even consider getting a size 42. At the time, I had stolen it from one of my other cars and got it to fit by adding 3/4" blocks under it. That got it to clear the wheel well diagonal bit.

Last edited on 06-05-2013 04:29 pm by pc

Posted: 06-06-2013 08:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
answerman

I'll look at mine tonight, but the brand won't help you as it is a Fleet Farm branded battery (regional chain in the upper Midwest). I should be able to get you the size though.

I look at batteries as a disposable item. I get the one that fits, don't pay a premium for a name, and when it dies in 3 years I just buy another one.

Current time is 09:26 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Battery Size and Type Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems