Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Rebuilding a GT engine without the airpump stuff

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Art DeKneef

Anybody do something like that? What did you do for the holes in the head for the tubes on the exhaust side?

I am taking off the original cast exhaust off the GT engine and replace with a set of Delta headers. Unfortunately some of the tubes above the exhaust broke while trying to remove the bolts holding them to the head. Didn't have any room to get to the upper exhaust bolts.

Since I'm pretty sure this tube piece is pretty extinct, I'm wondering if just plugging the eight holes will work or does something else need to be done because of the fitting with the small diameter tube that goes into the head.

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Art, my head used to have those air holes and the PO filled them years ago with what look's like JB Weld, haven't had any issue's.

I would imagine any good epoxy metalic filler would work, I'd stick with a metalic though just so you get expansion and contraction similiar to the head.

Brett

Art DeKneef

Thanks. If thats the case I might just find some thin head bolts and use them or maybe just aluminum weld the holes shut.

907heaven

European engines didn't use the air pump, but some still had the drillings, they are normally blocked off with 1/8" BSP threaded plugs.  They have tapered threads and tighten up as you thread them in.  If they are hard to source in the US, let me know and I could post you some over.  Regards GARRY

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems