Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > no start - getting air, fuel and spark......carbs?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
no start - getting air, fuel and spark......carbs?  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-06-2010 07:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
flatlanderep

1973 JH with strombergs. It sat during the huge cold snap we had here in the south and now will not start. I've checked for spark and its good. I've checked for fuel and its good. I've check for air and its good. Put in a new battery too.
I'm stumped. Is a carb adjustment in order? I just don't understand how a carb would get out of whack just because it sat for a week.
I'm not sure what else to do.
Please help me get it running.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-06-2010 10:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Sander

Spark ... fuel ...

Have you pulled the spark plugs?  They may be fouled.

Posted: 02-07-2010 03:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Not sure just how you checked spark and fuel, but lets say you have 2 to 3 lb's of fuel pressure at the carb's, and you have spark at each plug, my next thought would be is it all arriving on time, could you have skipped a tooth on the timing belt. Could the cold have created condensation that froze and is sapping the spark off, could the gas line be partially frozen, or water that is frozen in the float bowls.

I wouldn't go adjusting the carbs right now if they were working fine before, but I'd advise taking a look at the basic timing, crank and cams, then draining the float bowls.

So many possibilities, let us know what you find.

Brett

Sander, time for you to go to the Nationals agian isn't it ???

Posted: 02-07-2010 05:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
flatlanderep

i guess that was my next question. how do you drain the floats bowls on the stroms?

Posted: 02-07-2010 08:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

flatlanderep wrote: i guess that was my next question. how do you drain the floats bowls on the stroms?

Pretty simple really, just feel under each carb and you should detect a round brass plug in the middle of each, 3/4" dia. its only held in by a O-ring, so just wiggle it while pulling down and it should come out, if it's a bit stuck use a screw driver to wedge it  but be careful the plug housing is actually plastic. If you should bust it most Brit place's have new ones. If you can, replace the o-ring with a new one, or at least smear it with a gasoline proof gasket compound when putting back in.

Brett

Posted: 04-21-2010 11:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Circmand

now you can be sure you have an authentic british sports car

Posted: 04-25-2010 10:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Steve Jarvis

I just replaced it on the front carb as it was leaking. I think you need to remove the bowl and press from the inside to remove the plug safely. There are four small tabs on the plastic that required some coaxing to get out.

Current time is 10:47 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > no start - getting air, fuel and spark......carbs? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems