Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > Engine not receiving fuel

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
mcguan.2

Yesterday, on my way to work, my '73 started stalling at stop signs.  I thought, well this isn't good, and tried to get back to home base.  It would stall and I was able to get it started, but as I got her into third gear she would really start to sputter and then die.  So, I figured the fuel pump was kaput, but when I pulled it off and tested it it worked.  Likewise, the inline fuse that the fuel pump was wired to also was fine.  Any thoughts?  I checked fuses in the engine compartment, but the box only had three fuses and all were fine.  Is there another box of fuses somewhere that I'm missing?

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Fuel filter, fuel pickup screen in the tank, carb screens if you have Dellortos. Is the tank rusty inside?

mcguan.2

The tank was replaced by previous owner.  It's probably a good idea to check the filter anyway, but when I turn the key I don't hear the fuel pump clicking.  That's why I thought it might be a fuse.

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Do you have 12v at the pump???

mcguan.2

Funny you mention that.  I got out the multimeter and checked the voltage at the pump.  Nothing.  So, I opened the hood to nose around for loose connections, etc.  At some point I heard the heater fan kick on, so whatever I did must of worked.  Sure enough, I checked for juice back at the fuel pump and I had 12v.  I then attempted to drive the car home, but it died again en route.  Once again, I opened the hood to look around, figuring maybe I could repeat whatever I did the first time.  I even turned the heater fan back on so I'd know when I hit the jackpot.  Eventually, I got to the fuses.  The when I pressed on the middle fuse, the fan kicked on.  When I released pressure it turned off.  So that was my answer. 

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems