Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Electric fan always running

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Electric fan always running  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-25-2010 05:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
mcguan.2

The electric fan that cools the radiator on my '73 has started running all the time when the key is in the on position.  The previous owner had installed a toggle switch on the dash that used to turn it on and off, but it also operated on a thermostat.  It used to go on by itself after the engine warmed up to a certain point. 

Any suggestions of where I should start my search to get it to not run constantly?  It's probably not the biggest problem, but today it kept me from hearing my fuel pump clicking away, and I drove off with a busted pump.  I didn't get far.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-25-2010 09:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JHRV8

WELL, SINCE IT WORKS ALL THE TIME, GROUND IS GOOD;  SO CHECK THE THERMOSTAT THAT CONTROLS THE FAN, REPLACE IF NECESSARY.  P.O. LIKELY HAD SAME PROBLEM ,HENCE THE SWITCH HE INSTALLED.      GOOD LUCK....JHRV8.

Posted: 01-26-2010 01:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Use a continuity tester.

When the engine is cold check to see if you have a completed circuit across the themostat, you should not have, as the engine heats up then it will become complete. Check your switch, again if you have a completed circuit in both positions it's NG.

Brett

Current time is 03:27 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Electric fan always running Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems