Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Installing Exterior Weather Strip

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Installing Exterior Weather Strip  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-02-2010 05:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
gmacey

I am replacing the exterior weather strips (window wipes) with new ones from Delta and am having a heck of a time with the little clips used to attach them.

Anybody have any tricks they could share?

Gary

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-02-2010 02:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Gary, I have heard the new clips Delta supplies dont really do a proper job, haven't used them myself so just going on what was said.

But if you are using the old factory supplied ones the trick that work for me was ....... I got a long piece of round dowl wood, I think it was 3/4 dia. and cut a groove into one end so it would hold the clip steady, then reached in thru the inner door and positioned it on the weather strip and door edge, gave a good push to catch it then a slight tap with a hammer to seat it home.

It gets even easier if you remove the window assembly but not worth the trouble if you dont need to.

Brett

Posted: 01-02-2010 06:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

Gary,

I recently replaced mine with new ones from Delta. The U shaped clips supplied by Delta are narrower than the originals. Try to use the original wider ones. Also the new weatherstrips are thicker than the original where the clip attaches. I used a rasor blade to trim the buldge at the bottom off just where the 6 clips go.  This together with the original clips works well. My doors were completly appart. The job will be more difficult with window mechanism in place. As for a tool, take a piece of heavy guage sheet metal as wide as the clip, fold it into a U shape to hold the clip and attach a handle on top. You can then insert this from top of door and pull up to install clips. Still a bit tricky though.

Gary

Posted: 01-02-2010 10:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jim Ketcham

I gave up on the Delta clips and purchased clips from McGregor British Car Parts (14 clips for $3.50) that matched the originals quite well.

Link: http://www.macgregorukcarparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=JH-door

Good Luck,

Jim

Posted: 01-03-2010 05:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
colinw59

In previous posts I've read of using a J shaped tool to push the clips into place. Locate the clip loosely in place and pull up on the tool. The glass must of course be out to install them, no matter how you try and do it. They are a pain, I pushed them on from within the door from below using a push rod/drift to tap them home. It took a while, be patient. Good luck.

Posted: 11-10-2013 01:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Dan Collier

Here are some measurements I found while trying to replace the weather stripe clips.
Door Metal  .095   Original Clip  .130
Weatherstrip .070  Delta Clip .097
Total Width .165
As you can tell the Delta clip is too small and is has a ā€œUā€ shape unlike the square bottom of the original.

Attachment: IMG_5469C.JPG (Downloaded 211 times)

Last edited on 11-10-2013 01:54 pm by Dan Collier

Posted: 01-25-2014 02:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
DDrake

I just purchased the weather strip from Macgregor and they advised me that the preferred method of attachment was the screws!
I asked about the clips and they said that they were quite difficult to use.I did think at the time that drilling a bunch of tiny little holes into a awkward spot might be a little challenging.
Has anyone found or tried to modify a clip to fit ?

Posted: 05-17-2014 06:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
answerman

A little late to the party, but I did order the replacement wipes and clips from Delta and... not saying it was easy (my windows were still in) but they worked just fine. They must have changed suppliers since the ones they sent me were not U-shaped, but had a square bottom like the originals.

Posted: 05-17-2014 11:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
DDrake

It's never too late (haha)
I did use the tiny screws to install my weather strip as that was how it had been done ,at the factory I think.
I just used the old weather strip as a template and punched the holes into the new ,with an awl.Worked pretty well .The rubber held the screws in place while tightening this screws down

Posted: 11-02-2019 09:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
mgreaves

I'm in Australia, and Delta is a little far away for me and I couldn't find other clips suitable, so I made a 25mm channel (from the edges of a gal shelf) that was "U" shaped and had a folded edge (which I opened up to form a grabbing edge) I bent a piece of flat steel to make a hook-shaped tool that allowed me to force this channel onto the flat bit that the clips grab onto. I then pushed the weather seal into the U shape while pulling the channel up, it makes a very tight seal and only needed a single screw to keep the entire thing locked into position. wasn't too hard, took a couple of hours.

Posted: 03-24-2020 12:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
noomg

I don't know about the old Delta clips, I never used them but I just got a batch of the new ones and they are much better than even the original factory clips. They're deeper so they have a bit more flex making for easier install. I was able to install them without the use of a special tool, I just pushed them on with my fingers and they hold better than the originals.

Current time is 12:54 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Installing Exterior Weather Strip Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems