Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Installing new cams is a bear,

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Installing new cams is a bear,  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-15-2009 11:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Shimming new cams when there is no baseline is difficult at best. I give it a 4 vino rating per day. Start with a case of wine.

Put in some shims to start. Bolt the cam carrier to 18 ft/lbs and measure. Have a glass of wine.

Remove cam carrier and take a second guess for the ones that were 0. Replace cam carrier. re-torque. Measure. Remove. Order shims. Pay $12 for shipping which doubles the price of shims. Wait several days for shims. Drink several glasses of wine.

Re-install cam carrier. Measure. Wonder why the shims you didn't change now have different measurements. Remove. Go to buy Helicoil kit for stripped stud. Go to local SAAB repair place and beg for the last 3 shims. Re-install. Measure. Drink a bottle of wine.

Ask yourself why the exhaust side measures a perfect .012 all the way across and the intake side is a mess. Remove. Finish off another bottle of wine.

Find the local Lotus guy on ebay and buy 12 shims, just to fill out the shim collection. Wait a few days for delivery. Install, measure, drink wine, remove 2 more times. Finally got them .005, to .007 and that's as close as it's going to get.

I'm not even happy it's done, I'm still pissed. Where's the wine?

Kurt

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-15-2009 11:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Judson Manning

Having access to the original Lotus shim kit with every shim between .050" and .130" AND an 8mm helicoil kit to fix those stripped studs . . . beyond priceless.

Of course just as he describes there is absolutely NO way to shorten the valve shimming process.  Pass the Merlot Kurt . . .

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 05:52 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Installing new cams is a bear, Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems