Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Conversion Components Supra Bell Housing

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
jdenglish

I have a CC bell housing that I have bolted to the engine.  The run out on the rear face appears to be over .20 out.  Compounding the problem is that there are no dowel pins on the engine side of the bell housing or on engine to align one to the other.  There are however 2 dowels on the rear of the bell housing that align it to the transmission.  These 2 dowel pins could form the basis of determining the alignment to the engine if there were some measurements from these pins to the center line of the pilot shaft.  Has anyone conquered this problem?
Thanks in advance
John English
JHMKII 20175

JHRV8

John, In my library I have a copy of a book by peterson specialty book publishing , copyright 1969 The complete Book of Engine swapping #2, and on page42 is an article"build your own adapter" which in depth explains how to allign engine and trans and place dowel pins in block and bellhousing. should be able to find a copy at used book store or on the net.  I have made several adapters using this technique and recommend this article.  Hope this guides you to your goal... regards JHRV8.

jdenglish

JHRV8,
A Google search found volumes 3 & 4.  Is the article faxable or pdfable?
Thanks,
John

Judson Manning

Put me on that distribution list!

Dakota123

Me too!.  I have a CC kit I'll be installing this winter -- you've got me worried!

Mike

jdenglish

No joy so far,  the initial run out was .020 not .20.  Having a tough time determining the center line.

JHRV8

Don't know if the copyrights are still in effect, try contacting Hot Rod magazines past articles dept. tosee if they can get copys for you, Peterson Publishing Co. has been sold now several times, sodon't know what to do......sorry.

JHRV8

I will photocopy article and mail it to Greg at the JHPS magazine and have him deseminate at his discression.....JHRV8

Dakota123

I finally had a chance to look at my "new" block and my CC-supplied bellhousing.  There are two hollow dowels located just above the upper/lower block split, at the outside edge (left side of the attached image).  These are also bolt points (the dowels being hollow).  Collin included a hand-written note with the standard instructions that reads "Jensen-Healey -- insure there are 2 -- No. 15 hollow dowels protruding from engine -- they align bell housing in correct position!"

It sounds like you are missing these dowels?  I plan to use offset dowels when I'm finally able to get around to this; there's a pretty good alignment procedure here:  http://www.mrgasket.com/pdf/97140222.pdf and a better one here: 

http://www.cms-grp.com/files/GM Dial Indicating - RobbMC instructions Revised 6-15-09A.pdf (you might have to paste this in the address bar)

Hope this helps,

Mike

Attachment: block showing dowel.jpg (Downloaded 59 times)

Last edited on 10-31-2009 09:56 pm by Dakota123

jdenglish

"Today, a date that will live in infamy"  Well not quite that bad but it has been as big a surprise.  Plug and Play.....NOT!
 To verify that the "Conversion Components NZ" bell housing lined up to within .004 laterally and vertically I had the the face of the Toyota W58 transmission digitized and converted to an Autocad drawing.  Next I took the .dwg drawings to a water jet company to have a transmission faceplate made out of 3/4" 6061T6 aluminum.  Then off to Bob Wirth Race Engines in Fremont, Ca for the alignment. He fabricated a crankshaft extension  that extended through the bell housing and took measurments.  As it turned out, the bell housing was .016 off of center diagonally.  He aligned  the bell housing, machined an Oilite bronze pilot bearing in lieu of the needle bearing as provided by "Conversion Components NZ", provided a delrin sleeve to slip over the Toyota clutch alignment tool and handed it over to me.  Bob's comments was that it was about average for aftermarket bell housings.  Caveat Emptor!
Numbers speak for themselves.
Digital Image $130.00
Transmission faceplate $250.00
Alignment at Bob's shop (20 Hrs labor) but only $675.00
Value of not having to replace the flywheel  pilot shaft bearing or internal transmission pilot shaft bearing or worse,..........priceless.

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Got a photo of the faceplate?

Kurt

jdenglish

Kurt,
Not yet, but e-mail me direct and I'll take some shots this weekend.

Sylva

Hi Guys I know this is not the right forum and I ask Greg to forgive me if I am way out of line, I have a Getreg box from a Lotus Sunbeam which I am no longer using, complet with the bell housing for a 900 and a twin plate padel clutch.

The problem is it is in Asia and it is heavy, so I assumed no one would be interested and it is just sat in my garage, If I were to get a cost for the shipment by sea would anybody be interested in buying it? If the answer is yes then I'll get the shipping cost and place an advert with Greg in the right way.

This is the Dog leg box, and is as used in the European M3, 0.89 5th gear it is super strong. I have owned the car it came out of since 1985, and in that time it has done under 2,000 Miles.

Kelvin

Judson Manning

Interesting...

I'm wondering if this is the same bellhousing used in the Eclat 2.2 (?) which would be extremely rare.  This variant from the factory used the Getrag 265 5-speed from the (as mentioned) BMW M3.

The 'dog-leg' Getrag reminds me of our beloved 235/5 and the 262CR found in European 6-series.  However, both of these transmissions have 5th = 1:1.

By itself the 265 isn't special when compared to the W57 or W58, but if it's been fitted by Metric Mechanic as an 'ultimate transmission'....that would be extremely cool! 

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems