Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Soft Tops  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-18-2005 01:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Brian Kelly

I noticed there are new soft tops available on EBay.  It looks like a local (USA) manufacturer has started making tops for us.  They are offering two versions – vinyl and cloth. The cloth material is listed as

“HAARTZ BLACK STAYFAST CLOTH”.

I’ve always regretted not getting in on the group buy of Caribou cloth tops but really don’t want to go through the “hell” you all went through to get yours. The vinyl top I have now is OK but is a bugger to get up when the temp drops since the vinyl shrinks with the temp.

I think I am ready for a cloth top.  The eBay seller has a fantastic feedback score.  Has anyone else been looking at them.  Does any one have experience with these tops?  Comments anyone?

Thanks,

Brian

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-18-2005 02:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I was hoping you would try one so I wouldn't have to be the test mule. It is supposed to have a "factory" fit so it probably doesn't contact the body at the corners. There are many cheap tops made in the USA, just google up convertible top. It would be nice to find another manufacturer we can rely on to provide a great product for a good price in a timely manner.

Caribou may be the slowest, most uncommunicative supplier, but from what I've heard, make the best fitting and best looking top on the market. It might be worth the wait.

Kurt

I wonder if Jerry Havlovic knows his JH "Jensini" is featured in this guy's ad on ebay? I bet the top wasn't made by him.

Last edited on 05-18-2005 04:15 pm by Jensen Healey

Posted: 05-18-2005 04:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
pc

It's just my own personal opinion but I feel there's a big difference between waiting for something worthwhile and feeding a parasite. The parasite did eventually deliver an acceptable top. But that was long after he consumed our money and only after a protracted pitched battle with our group leader. If I had to do it again I would not under any circumstances do business with that idiot, ever, period!

But that's just me.

On the other hand, our comrade Steve, who has done a marvelous resto that we all drool over, installed a Prestige top on his car. It's really nice, made out of top quality Haartz fabric and was diligently delivered as promised.

Now we find A.A. Best selling on eBay (they've been around a while but I've never seen them on eBay before). I haven't spoken with anybody that has an A.A. Best canvas top so I have no idea what to expect in the way of quality other than that they use Haartz fabric as well. It would be great for somebody to step up to the challenge, be our beta tester and report back.

I guess some people may be concerned about trying a new, "unknown" vendor. True, it is a risk to try an unknown vendor on eBay, even one with a 99.9% approval rate from over 1400 responses. What is the risk of trying a "known" vendor with a 90+% adamant disapproval rate?

Ya got'ta love eBay. A.A. Best's "Buy It Now" prices are listed as $302 for canvas and $199 for vinyl. If you go to A.A. Best's website the prices are listed as $269 for canvas and $179 for vinyl. They also list tan canvas as an option.

PC.

Posted: 05-18-2005 05:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Can you post photos of the Prestige top? It sounds like the ticket, British made for the British car.

Posted: 05-18-2005 05:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brian Kelly

Hey PC, You are right about the $269.  I was just at there site.  5 yr warenty to boot! I may give them a try. I wonder if they've had a price increase and haven't up gaded their website?

http://aabestco.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=595&lastcatid=243&step=4

I'd love the carabou but it's not worth the risk!  Any one got one for sale?

Posted: 05-18-2005 08:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
pc

Sorry Jensen Healey, I don't have any pix of Steve's car. (Darn, if we had had this conversation yesterday I could have snapped some last night.)

Brian, I'm guessing the higher auction price is to cover eBay's "cut".

If I was looking for a new top I'd gladly be the guinea pig and try the A.A. Best. The price is sure reasonable. I have half a mind (although many would argue much less) to sell my top and buy a different one just out of principle.

PC.

Current time is 09:14 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Soft Tops Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems