Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Flywheels  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-06-2009 06:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
subwoofer

Can the later Lotus flywheels be used with the JH clutch, or do I have to use the JH flywheel as well?

My Spec5 engine will be arriving today, just mentally preparing myself for the task ahead. The later Lotus flywheels are lighter, or am I mistaken?

--
Joachim

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-05-2009 11:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Later Lotus flywheels do fit, although no idea up to how far that goes. They look about the same, I doubt they are much lighter. The biggest advantage is that they have a shoulder to keep the ring gear in place. On the JH, the ring gear just sits there and gets pushed back by the starter over the years to the point that it will eventually not engage and need to be repositioned. Complete failure on the design on that one. When I rebuild an engine, I take the flywheel to a machine shop and have them spot weld it all around and get it balanced.

Posted: 05-18-2016 01:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
gmgiltd

I have a question regarding flywheels which I hope someone can help me with - my understanding is that early 907s were fitted with cast iron flywheels that were safe to 7400 rpm and later engines went with cast steel which in lightened and balanced form were safe to at least 8800rpm. The club store sells lightened 'steel' flywheels but they are exchange. Can anyone tell me at what point in production the flywheel material changed?

Current time is 05:25 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Flywheels Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems