Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Ignition Sprocket Removal

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Ty Hisatomi

The ignition sprocket on my 74 Jensen was developing some play at the end so I needed to remove it to see what's up.  Not sure if this was because of the timing belt being too tight or what, but it was severe enough that it was starting to slightly rub on the housing and definitely not spinning evenly.  This sprocket seems to be identical to the intake and exhaust cam sprockets.  It's secured by an Allen hex end bolt unlike the intake and exhaust sprockets.  After removing the end bolt, the sprocket does not come off the end of the shaft.  I know there is some kind of a clip or keeper at the end.  Any ideas how to proceed from here so I can remove it?   Also any ideas how deep I'll be diving into my pocket if I have to replace this?

Any advice out there would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Ty, if it was me I would remove the whole oil pump distributor assembly and get it on the bench to see just how much play you have, I did check the workshop manual and it mentions a circlip on the end of the shaft.

I havent rebuilt this item myself but have seen post's from other members, so do a search of the archive and you should get the info you need.

Brett

Ty Hisatomi

Brett,

Thanks for the reply.  I think it would be premature to remove the whole assembly as it is the inside hub of the sprocket itself that appears to have warn (enlarged) and is wobbling at the end of the shaft.  The shaft itself is solid and show no play or movement.  I will search the archives for similar problems.  Your counsel is appreciated.

-Ty

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Ty, your right the sprocket is the same as the cam's and they are a pretty common item, if I had any I send you one, but try E-bay or British Masters in CA should'nt be to much money. Heck maybe another member might have a spare to sell you.

Good luck. Brett 

Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I had this problem on my car, the circlip was worn (lost its tension) and allowed the sprocket to walk back and contact the housing. You just need to remove the sprocket (with a gear puller), refit a new circlip to the shaft and put the sprocket back on. It's an easy fix. I'd replace the shaft key as well while you're at it.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems