Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
fuel gauge  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-20-2009 07:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dr. E. Lopez

My fuel gauge is stuck in "empty' even when I fill up the tank. Any advise? is it serious? what to do? Thanks

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-20-2009 07:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JodyKerr

You'll want to check the wiring and the fuel sender. Generally the problem isn't the gauge, but the sender. And, good luck finding a new sender.

Jody

Posted: 09-20-2009 07:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Dr. E. Lopez

Thanks, Jodi. I usually get my parts from Delta in Phoenix,  is it hard to find? oh boy

Posted: 09-20-2009 07:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
JodyKerr

Jim @ Delta doesn't have any, last time I checked (I need one for one of my project cars). The problem with the senders is getting original cores to rebuild. No other car that I've been able to identify uses the same fuel sender as the Jensen Healey.

On my to-do list is to pull the fuel sender from my Triumph Spitfire parts car to see how comparable the two units are (They're *roughly* the same design). The idea is to figure out how to fabricate the Jensen Healey fuel sender using parts available for the Spitfire (Spitfire parts, compared to Jensen ones, are dirt cheap).

Jody

Posted: 09-20-2009 09:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Dr. E. Lopez

Thanks again. I'll let you know what my mechanic tells me about this, and we'll take it from there.

Posted: 09-21-2009 02:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
John Finch

The sending unit float might have a leak and be full of gas preventing it from floating. It will always read low or empty if that is the case even if the sending unit is ok. Replacement floats are avail for less than $5.00. Ford part number is COAZ-9202-B. Google search and you'll get a lot of options. Try your local Ford parts dept too. Hope this helps. John

Posted: 09-23-2009 09:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Dr. E. Lopez

You were right, Delta, doesn't have any senders. However they told me if I send them mine, they will rebuild it. Should I ? thans again jodi.

Posted: 09-23-2009 09:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Dr. E. Lopez

My mechanic said is the sender definetly. I was told by Delta that they can rebuild it, but I will be without a car for a while, so maybe I'll wait until the cold weather is here. Thanks.

Posted: 09-24-2009 12:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
JodyKerr

Well, it's up to you really. If you normally garage your car for the winter, then that's definitely the time to do it. What I do know is the car will not be in running condition minus the sender. Good to know they can get them rebuilt. I'll have to call Jim an dsee if he'll accept a "bag of parts" as a core. :).

What I'd do, is while the sender is out, take the opportunity to examine the gas tank too. And if it's never been removed, I'd take it out and get rid of the pad that the factory put underneath it. It's a recipe for rust. You can replace the pad with a piece of rubber.

Jody

Posted: 09-24-2009 08:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Dr. E. Lopez

How do you know so much? thanks again, I'll follow your advise. Yes, I storage the car for winter, it snows a lot here in the Chicago area. Thanks again.

Posted: 09-24-2009 09:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
JodyKerr

Heh, I don't know half as much as people think I do, I just have happened to had the opportunity to have already muddled through the exact problem you're working on. That, and having started as my dad's assistant "tool hander" since I was five means I've spent most of my life in, under or around cars.

Try checking out my website: http://www.theymightberacing.com/ I'm presently working on building a Jensen Healey out of, well, more or less spare parts. I have another one in the driveway, and 4 or 5 other project cars laying about (I lost count).

Jody

Posted: 09-25-2009 04:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Hi Jody,

Are you making the trek to the Jensen Nationals West? I'm hoping someone brings a nice JH so I don't have to vote for myself again!

Kurt

Posted: 09-25-2009 03:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
JodyKerr

Kurt,

I'm very much waffling on Jensen West this year. I've got a 9month old, a big merger at work, and an incomplete car. We thought about doing it as a family vacation but school schedules and such didn't work well.

I'm still thinking about coming out by myself, but I wouldn't be driving a Jensen. More likely is that the whole troop of us will be there next year.

Jody

Current time is 12:57 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > fuel gauge Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems