Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Dakota123

10628 is running great and the handling is finally sorted (new bushings F&R, front anti-roll bar, rebuilt steering shaft) so now its time to think about how I can screw it up.

I ran a couple of stopwatch 0-60 runs and came up with about 10.5 seconds, which at an elevation of 6,000' tells me that she's performing exactly as she should.  Given the density altitude, I'm only putting out about 79% (or less) of sea-level horsepower, or 110 hp. 

I'm kind of reticent to spend several thousands on a 2.2L HC rebuild, just to get to 150 or 160 HP.  I'm wondering if supercharging might be a better option (I'm not sure how one would even go about stuffing a turbo in there -- there's hardly enough room for the exhaust system as it is.)

Opinions?

Mike

Judson Manning

Just say no to forced induction with the 907...

A few brave souls have slapped on super-chargers and I know of at least one person who did a turbo.  We do hear a lot about these cars during their construction phase, but rarely are they heard from again - just too complex and not at all reliable.  (We really don't want your car joining the ranks of yet one more unsuccessful project!)

The problem with high power rebuilds is finding a cross-drilled forged steel crank and matching bearings ($$$$$$).  Alternatively, a solid 2.0 rebuild with 9.5:1 pistons will bring your machine alive at an affordable price and keep it from detonating. 

I felt pretty happy when I trounced a BMW 328i during a test-drive of a customer's newly rebuilt 2.0 with Strombergs...makes me wonder what the 2.2 w/ Dellorto's, cams, etc would have done (of course my clutch keeps smoking every time i take it to the dyno...lol)

Frank Schwartz

Judson:  As for induction, perhaps you can help.  I am working on my son's GT with him and he insists on re installing the big air filter contraption and the air hose to it from the front...insists that the cool air will make the car run considerably better.
I maintain that putting a couple of K&N filters on the carbs will do just as well and simplify getting to the carbs and such in that area.  Care to comment?  If so, please do directly to me at mfsjr2comcast.net.
Thank youi,
Frank Schwartz

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems