Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 5 speed suddenly can't shift into 4th gear

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
5 speed suddenly can't shift into 4th gear  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-01-2009 06:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
dancarlsen

I recently had a blown head gasket and after taking out the motor to check it over for damage (it was OK), and putting it back in, my 5 speed will no longer shift into 4th. All other gears work perfectly and the problem is present whether the car is running or not, and whether the car is cold or hot.

My mechanic (who is top-notch btw) made some minor adjustments to the clutch, but I don't think that should have caused this problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan
Minneapolis, MN

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-03-2009 08:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Sylva

OK I am not a gear box expert, but as no one else has tried Is 4th 1:1, if yes then it is direct drive from the input shaft and power does not 'go throught the lay shaft', i.e. it is the simplest geat, so very strange to have aproblem here.

somehow you must have pressure on the gear box output shaft or input and are 'pushing' one into the other, can you get 4th gear with the gear box out of the car?

Posted: 08-16-2010 09:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
77sito

I posible my solution is a little crazy and stupid, but prove the gearbox without the center console is situated between the seats.

I have more problems with the 1rst and reverse, I remove this part to prove and the gears entry correctly. Is very cheap to make this prove.

My problems now are when the motor is hot. When is hot the gears 1rts and reverse are difficult to entry.

Posted: 09-28-2010 10:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Cort Musgrave

There was a "kit" of parts that we used to offer BMW 2002 owners that would tighten up the shift. It consisted of 2 new blocks to hold the shift extension, a kind of universal joint, and all of the bushings where the shift rod extension and shift handle met at the right angle. There was more parts that would tighten up the pivot point that is right below the console but that is probably OK. If these weren't right the shift would get worse and worse until you couldn't find any gears. Also check the rear mount as the angle would play a role on shifting.

Posted: 10-01-2010 03:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
pbahr

Hi Guys,

Don't know if Dan has an internal problem or a problem with the Shifter mechanism, which is a really bad design.  I fixed mine and have upgraded three others for JH & GT owners.  It's a pain to do, and requires expensive machine shop time.

Cort describes most of the bits that go bad, and to fix the Shifter requires a complete inspection and custom machining.  I could not believe that BMW did such a poor design ! ! !  But they did...........

See: http://jhppg.com/pk0604.htm

YELODOG

Current time is 12:01 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 5 speed suddenly can't shift into 4th gear Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems