New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Fuel Sender Unit is shot  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-27-2009 07:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ghawbrey

Hey All!

I am new to JHPS and the forum.  We are in Lafayette Louisiana.

I just bought a 74 JH that I owned 10 years ago.  It suffered a carburetor fire that was hot enough to melt the stacks off the Dellortos.  It looks like it sat in the weather for the entire time it was away and the gas tank is shot, the engine is locked and the floors are rotted.  I purchased one of those aluminum ones and will be taking precautions to ensure it doesn't leak.  My problem is the fuel sensor.  It is so bad the line is plugged with rust.  What I want to know is....  Has anyone here ever thought about adapting a Spitfire or MGB sender to this tank.  They have the same mount setup.  The JH part when available is $170 at DMS (which it is not right now).  I can get used ones cheap and a new one is $49.  I was going to tap the drain plug to get a fuel supply.  The pump in the trunk is very messy and I always had a gas smell back there.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-27-2009 07:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JodyKerr

I'm actually working through the same thing right now. The fuel sender for my project car is toast, and well, replacements are rarer than hens teeth. I have a Spitfire parts car that I can pull the fuel sender from. I think, based on tank placement, it may be the best option at present.

The main consideration on figuring/fabcricating an interchange on the JH tank is really the length of the draw pipe going down and ensuring that the arm motion moves fluidly from top to bottom of tank.

I'm getting AC in my garage this weekend, so I may go pull the Spitfire fuel sender after the AC unit is installed and I can compare it to the JH one.

Jody

Posted: 08-27-2009 09:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ghawbrey

I saw a picture of an MGB sender online and it looked like the little box with the winding in it was perpendicular to the side of the tank like the JH.  I believe the MGB sender fits in the top of the tank though.  There is a slotted adjuster on them to set the gauge reading.

Posted: 08-27-2009 11:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
JodyKerr

Yes, but you have to remember that the JH draws it's fuel through the sender, which the MG one does not. It may be that you can strip the bits off an MG sender and cobble them on to your JH sender.

Posted: 08-28-2009 01:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ghawbrey

The tube on my JH sender is rusted shut.  I was going to drill and tap the drain plug to get fuel.  My 68' Spitfire got fuel out of the bottom of the tank.

Posted: 08-28-2009 02:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
JodyKerr

oh, ok, well that's a different scenario. :)

Current time is 12:54 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > Fuel Sender Unit is shot Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems