Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
transmission oil  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-17-2005 04:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Paul Koehler

After replacing the transmission mount, I decided to drain the fluid and replace with new. The shop text says to add 1.98L , using the opening on the top right hand side of the housing. Looks almost impossisble to get to with everything buttoned up. My question is: Can the fluid be added through the opening created by taking the shift lever out? TIA for your advice.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-17-2005 11:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Paul, what I use is a pump oil can with a flex neck that you can pick up at most car parts stores, I dont think going thru the shifter will work, at least on a 5 speed it wont.

Brett.

Posted: 05-17-2005 02:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

For the 4-speed, there are two relatively easy ways to add oil to the transmission, and I suppose that the 5-speed would be similar.

(1) Use a pump of some sort to transfer the oil.  Depending on what's available to you locally, you might consider a pump of the sort Brett suggests, an inline pump of the type used to syphon fuel, or one of those pumps that attaches to the mouth of an oil can. A caution: do resist the urge to see if you're almost done by sticking a finger into the fill hole.  I did that once, and was seriously considering a field amputation before finally managing to unstick the finger.

(2) Insert a 3/8" or 1/2" ID hose into the fill opening, run the free end of the hose up and forward into the engine bay,  stick a funnel into this end, and just pour the oil in.  Two cautions here: (a) make sure the hose won't come out of the tranny in mid-pour, and (b) don't overfill the funnel.

An alternative, for those inclined, is to cut a hole in the side of the transmission tunnel adjacent to the fill plug, and fill the transmission through this hole.  Afterwards, the hole could be covered with a piece of sheet metal held in place by a couple of screws.

Posted: 05-17-2005 06:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jdean

I have always had great luck with the funneland hose method.  I put a catch pan underneath the tranny and have my wife/neighbor/kids keep an eye on it for overflow.  A quick wipe with a shop rag, install the plug, and your done.

Posted: 05-17-2005 06:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Paul Koehler

Thanks guys for your help.

Posted: 05-17-2005 07:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Esprit2

In the US,  Valvoline markets a line of transfer pumps designed to screw onto the threaded neck of a bottle.   They're plunger pumps similar to those on hand lotion bottles,  but larger.   They come in sizes to fit pint, quart and gallon bottles.   And they're cheap.   Go to your auto parts store and look near the gear oils and grease guns.

For the Jensen-Healey, force a barbed,  90° Elbow,  hose fitting into the end of the output hose to help make the sharp turn into the side of the gearbox.   Or make a short wand using small copper tubing and an elbow fitting.

Tim

Posted: 05-18-2005 06:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Brian Kelly

OK guys sorry I missed this one.  Adding oil CAN be a Breeze!

Just head to your local HW store and buy an electrical 4" octagon box cover plate and a couple of sheet metal screws. Now pull out the floor mat on the passenger’s side and lift the carpet up.  Place an “X” on the side of the tranny tunnel approximately where the fill plug is located on the tranny.  Get this as close as possible. Drill a .25” dia hole into the tunnel at this location and stick a small screw driver through to verify correct location.  Once location is verified cut a 2"- 3” dia hole thru the tunnel using a hole saw in a drill (maybe another trip to the HW store). 

Now you have access to the fill plug with an ordinary socket and short extension.  Use the cover plate to cover the hole when done.

To fill I use an ordinary quart oil bottle with a hose connected to the end (Auto zone or equiv.)

Happy fillings,

Brian

Current time is 08:07 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > transmission oil Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems