Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
rtclark

How do you remove the headers (73 JH #13218) Snapped stud off @ block replacing studs

Rory

Ron Mau

Hi Rory,

There are 12 nuts that you have to remove. You will need to take the wheel off to get to some of them. Also an assortment of extensions and swivels. Some are a real pain to get to. Be patient. When you get the nuts offf the studs(some studs will come out with the nuts) you will need to remove the steering shaft. It runs through the header. Loosen the bottom and the top clamps Then it should slide toward the firewall so you can take it off of the steering rack or toward the steering rack I don't remember for sure. When you get ready to put everything back together. I would suggest getting the studs and the undersized nuts from the club store. It makes it so much easier to put back together. It gives you just a liitle bit more clearance around the header.

Good luck, it is a pita job.

Ron Mau 16367

rtclark

Thanks, "Just wanted to make sure about the Steering Shaft"  I did buy a complete set of Stud-Nuts from Delta about 18 mo. ago.  Had almost all replaced & torqued Then... Broke one off at the block ... Now need to drill out and put in Helix coil.

Rory

Arvin Appelman

Try a left hand drill bit.  You might get lucky and have the stud back out.

roverman

Another trick is to take next oversize nut, set over busted-off stud and mig/tig weld nut to stud. The heat also helps when you go to un-screw.  Good Luck, roverman.

rtclark

Thanks for the Idea's ... I am WAY beyond stud removal,,, Tried left hand drill ... Busted 2-easy-outs... So, I was perplexed about the header removal & steering shaft.

Been delaying this for over 18mo and my wife wants to drive the car this fall when it cool's down here in Oklahoma

A airplane mechanic told me I had to do the helex coil... as they do on alum-engines

Rory

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems