New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
subframe question  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-20-2009 01:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
dschiri1

Hi,
I am in the process of rebuilding a 73 JH MK1.  When I got it it was not running and was in an accident which took out the radiator but every thing look OK.  I have taken out the engine with the sub frame.  As I'm inspecting the sub frame, the passenger side arm that connect to the strut rod looks like it is bent a little.   Is that normal?  Is it supposed to be a mirror immage of the driver arm?   I'm trying to take this arm off but it won't move.  Is it welded to the sub frame or just rusted on.  If I need a new arm or sub frame doe anyone have an extra one they would be willing to part with?

Best Regards

David

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-20-2009 07:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

The arms are mirrow images, with a slight bend near the lower wish bone, two bolts hold it to that and at the rear it's threaded, going thru a tube with large rubber bushings on either side of the frame, go to the Delta Motor sports site I was there a couple of days ago and noticed they have now posted some of the parts catalog along with part numbers.  http://www.deltamotorsports.com

Brett

Posted: 06-21-2009 11:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensenman

The strut rods have a bend in them for tire clearance, that's normal. They should come out pretty easily; there's two large nuts on the subframe end. The inner one can easily be removed. The outer one can be removed as well, but that one controls the caster setting for the front suspension. Before you turn that one, you need to devise a method of putting it back in the same place so the caster setting will be correct.

The other end has two easily removed bolts between the spring seat and the lower ball joint, there are nuts on the bottom of the lower arm. The lower control arm bushing will cause the arm to exert some force against the two bolts, but they should still tap out. Once they do, the lower control arm will spring back, so to speak.

Posted: 06-22-2009 04:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
dschiri1

Well it looks like my passenger arm is bent its a mirror except in the middle where it bent up.  I'm not talking about the strut rod but the arm that attaches to the cross member assembly.  Does anyone have an extra passenger arm or cross member assembly.  I haven't seen any on ebay.

David

Posted: 06-22-2009 09:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jensenman

Sounds like you are talking about the lower control arm. This goes from the crossmember under the spring and to the steering knuckle. If so, a friend here in town may have an extra. Can you post a picture so we will know for sure? It's also very important to know for sure whether it's a right or left hand; the sway bar mounts are on different sides of the arm.

Posted: 06-23-2009 04:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
dschiri1

here is the picture

Attachment: passanger side arm .jpg (Downloaded 108 times)

Posted: 06-23-2009 04:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
dschiri1

Here is a picture of total assembly.  I've been thinking does any one think the frame is bent.  That will suck.

Attachment: sub assembley 2.jpg (Downloaded 108 times)

Posted: 06-24-2009 01:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

I would check dimensions from the side you think is OK, create a center line and then check it against what you think is NG, and if it is NG I'd check the wish bones and all the rest on that side, plus the mounting points, if the mount points are NG then your in deep trouble.

Brett

Posted: 06-24-2009 06:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Jensenman

It does appear that the right 'arm' is bent and that is part of the subframe. The good thing: the subframe is mounted in rubber meaning the body shell is likely undamaged. You might take the subframe to a body shop to see if they can straighten it for you. If not, there are some used subframes floating around. As always, check with the esteemed Jim Medland at Delta Motorsports first. If he doesn't have one, British Masters advertises JH stuff on eBay all the time. Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with them, either good or bad.

Posted: 10-11-2009 12:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Greg_M

The Sub Frame is weak at the point that the strut is attached.  I have designed a pair of gussett plates to be welded either side of the strut bushing hole.  This provides a major increase in strength to the sub frame.  In many years of racing and some hard off road excursions, we never dammaged a sub frame.  

Attachment: 1010091821 (Small).jpg (Downloaded 152 times)

Last edited on 10-11-2009 03:01 am by Greg_M

Current time is 02:23 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > subframe question Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems