Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Problems with my ignition  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-15-2009 08:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
77sito

Hi, I'm Oscar from Spain. I'm restoring a Jensen Healey Vin 19868. I'm near to finish my long restoration, but now I have problem, the engine don't start.

I see the manua repair in order to take the TBC with the light fall conecting a lamp, I put correctly but don't start.

I take out a spark in order to see if the sparks works and the sparks works.

I supose the distributor is so difficult to adjusted, and I have a question for the jensen user's. Anyone can say me the best electronic ignitor for this car?

I have a stromberg carbs and I see the carbs works correctly, the fuel pump send the fuel correctly...I don't have any idea to make that the jensen start.

I'm not a mechanic, I supose a expert starts the engine in a few hours, but I want to do it.

Please, if anyone have a posibility I can prove contact with me.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-15-2009 11:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Hi Oscar,

Does the engine spit or cough when you try to start it?

Or does the starter just spin with no other noise?

Kurt

Posted: 06-17-2009 01:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Oscar, pull the spark plug at the front of the engine and make sure that the piston is at the top, the cam inlet and exhaust marks are lined up, and the TDC is lined up on the pulley as well, pop the distributor cap and look to see if the rotor is lined up on the #1 spark plug position. It sounds to me like your a full engine revolution off.

Once your sure you have it right, take the #1 lead with the spark plug attached and grounded, and slightly turn the distributor with the ignition turn on untill the spark plug sparks, you can go back and forth a few times till your sure you have it. Tighten the dist. back up, and that should get you running, next use a timing light to dial it in.

Brett

Posted: 06-17-2009 05:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
bonnettoboot

Hello this is my first post. One awkward task in timing is moving the distributor. Owners should be aware it will spring out if loosened too much, slacken the clamp little by little until you can just rotate the body. if you have the body out, push it in till it stops then, turn the shaft slowly while pushing until it locates in the adaptor and the body enters the clamp, keeping pressure on it, tighten the clamp bolt, do not overtighten,use a normal 5" or 6" (12cm) wrench/spanner/herramienta.  One question for clarity, which mark on the crank cover is TDC?  ie, there are four marks what are they all?   Regards

Posted: 06-18-2009 01:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

The mark on the pulley should line up with the hash mark that is on top, or towards the center of the engine, thats TDC. the ones that are lower are for differant degrees of advance, 10 20 and 30 degrees from TDC. the book calls for 8 degrees for strom's in the US, and 5 in Europe.

Posted: 06-18-2009 02:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
bonnettoboot

Thank You Brett.

Posted: 06-29-2009 03:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
77sito

Thanks for all your message...really thanks.

Finally I starts the engine. I supose more in this forum can find the problem more quick than me, but i need to make more times the  distribution. I prepare the TDC at time and the 1 piston in the upper position. The distributor in the 1 cilinder spark and the next...342.

This operation i make it more than 10 times.

In one time, I put the hand in the inlet manifold when one friend turn the key and the air don't entry.

One recomendation, if you rebuild the engine make this operation in order to make the oil up at the camshafts and the valves open right.

Remove all the sparks.

Make the distributor correctly.

Turn the starts key for a long time without sparks, about 10 seconds. This operation you can repeat it if you don't feel the air entry in the inlet manifold.

If the air entry....put the sparks and you can see the engine starts.

I'm very happy to starts my jensen and happy to see in this forums I find people who want to help me.

Thanks agin to everyone.

Posted: 10-11-2012 05:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
jarnol123

Brett, where do i find the cam inlet and exhaust marks?

Posted: 10-11-2012 01:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

You would look directly on the face of the cam gears themselves, there are usaully two to three small hash marks about 4 sprocket teeth apart, each id'ed with 110 and the other 115, align the 110's up, keeping the crank pulley at TDC.

Pictures on request.

Brett

Current time is 06:51 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Problems with my ignition Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems