Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > seat belt retractor rattle

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
seat belt retractor rattle  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-08-2009 01:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
fauxtog

it rattles... it's really annoying. doesn't matter if someone is in it or not. Help me before I yank it out and get one of those we are protecting you from your self tickets

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-09-2009 01:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

I see you have not had a reply to this yet so i will give you my speculations on the subject, the only thing inside I would imagine are a shaft, spring and catch. See if you can pop the plastic side cover and take a look, probably the spring or catch are busted, especialy the spring if it wont retract.

Never opened one myself but would like to see a picture of the gut's if you open it up, let us know how you make out.

Good luck. Brett

Posted: 06-09-2009 05:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
dwalls1

I've had mine apart and found it was more like the inertia switches on a FI system. IOW there is a cup and a ball that on impact from any direction, locks the mechanism. The ball could be rattling, but it's not the first thing I would suspect. I saw your post earlier, but didn't feel I had any thing helpfull. If your sure where the noise is coming from, then I wouldn't be afraid to take it apart for inspection, anyway.

Posted: 06-12-2009 11:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Paul Koehler

Be VERY CAREFUL  when opening it up. The spring is under tension, and has a tendency to eject from its containment( mind did anyway). If that happens, it is next to impossible to get it back, without having 6 hands. Good luck-PK 

Posted: 06-13-2009 03:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
dwalls1

Good point, I remember having some difficulty with mine, but years of dealing with rewind starter springs held me in good stead. I would add that not removing anything that didn't pertain to the problem at hand, ie: the rattle , would be a good approach.

Current time is 11:14 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > seat belt retractor rattle Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems