Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > cams, valve timing and ignition timing

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
cams, valve timing and ignition timing  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-01-2016 06:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
61st Post
subwoofer

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the closer timing would spit less. Some you have to live with, that is why we have air filters...

The best MOP for these engines is 104, 110in 97ex is basically that, just 6 degrees advanced. Advancing the cam is common on other designs, but they usually only advance 2-4 degrees.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-01-2016 08:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
62nd Post
westsideclay

Thanks I really appreciate your help > I think it's time for this one to finds a new home as I really don't have anywhere suitable to work on it close to where I live and don't have the time to commute to where it currently is

Posted: 05-03-2016 03:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
63rd Post
subwoofer

It shouldn't take many hours to get it running fairly well, if the rest of the car is in good nick it would be a good learning experience.

Posted: 05-03-2016 04:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
64th Post
westsideclay

the rest of the car is in good shape. The body is straight with very little rust I just put shocks tires and clutch into it. It needs an interior as its worn out and Healey dashpads did not play well with the Southern California sun I am in the process of deciding to keep the car or move on to something different. I truly appreciate your input on this but I'm really not looking forward to another learning experience. It would be different if ther was a good independent shop locally but unfortunately most have closed their doors

Posted: 05-10-2016 07:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
65th Post
Esprit2

I'm late to this thread, sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.

Westsideclay, Subwoofer and Brett have given you good advice on how to time the cams, you repeatedly insist that is what you have done, but it's not.

> The cams line up with the correct firing order,
> everything is where it is supposed to be which
> is why I cant figure this out

No, it's not where it's supposed to be, which is why it doesn't have compression, and doesn't run. You're setting the cams incorrectly. Please clear your mind of what you have done, and please read through the following with an open mind.

You CAN NOT change the cam timing from 115-115 to 110-110 without first removing both pulleys from the engine, flipping them over front to back, and re-installing them. If you have not removed/ flipped/ replaced the pulleys, then you have not re-timed the cams correctly. Simply rotating the pulley 3-teeth without first flipping them changes the cam timing by 54 degrees, not the 5 degrees you seek. If the pistons have not hit the valves yet, then you are extremely lucky. Head for Las Vegas while you're hot.

Set the cams back to 115-115 where it runs.

Grab a felt tip pen or a paint pen... preferably Red.

1) For each timing mark on the pulley's rim, follow that tooth to it's opposite side, and there you will find another mark of the same number value. Or you should!! If there's no timing mark there, then put one there. At least temporarily with a felt tip pen.

On the INtake pulley, the front-facing 115 timing mark should have a little 'IN' stamped adjacent to it. On the back side of the pulley, the second 115 timing mark will have an 'EX' stamped by it. At least that's the way it should be. If the second 115 mark isn't there on the back side, use the felt-tip pen to put it there. And if the IN and EX marks are not present, write them in as stated above.

Similarly, on the EXhaust pulley, there should be '115' and 'EX' engraved near the timing mark on the front face of the pulley rim, plus '115' and 'IN" on the back side.

With the crankshaft set to TDC, make certain the pulley's timing marks are aligned on the imaginary centerline between the cams. Simply aligning the dots with one another is not enough, they must also be on the imaginary centerline. If they're aligned but not on the centerline, then the cams are NOT properly timed. Then...

2) Looking at the 115 MOP INtake pulley, start on the TOOTH that has the 115 timing mark on it, calling it 'zero', and count downward (clockwise) three teeth. Counting the tooth with the 115 timing mark on it as '0' (zero), count down 1, 2, 3 teeth. Use the felt tip pen or paint pen to color that #3 tooth red (on Lotus OEM pulleys, Red timing dots are 110 MOP)

0 = 115 IN... aligned with the 115 EX mark on the exhaust pulley.
3 = Red

3) Similarly, on the EXhaust pulley, start at the 115 EX timing mark, count downward (counter-clockwise) three teeth, and color the #3 tooth Red.

4) For both #3 Red teeth in steps 2 & 3 above, write '110' near that newly identified tooth.

5) On the INtake pulley, 3 teeth below the 115 IN tooth, write 'EX' next to the new 110 tooth.

6) On the EXhaust pulley, 3 teeth below the 115 EX tooth, write 'IN' next to the new 110 tooth.

7) On the INtake pulley, start on the 110 tooth on the front side, follow that tooth to the back side (rearward facing side), paint it red, and write '110' and 'EX' near the back side of that tooth.

8) Similarly, on the EXhaust pulley, follow the new 110 tooth to it's back side, paint it red, and write '110' and 'IN' near the back side of that tooth.

Now, the Red 110 marks on the BACK sides of the two pulleys are what you want to have on the front side, so...

9) Remove the INtake pulley, flip it over front to back, and re-install it. 110 IN is now facing forward.

10) Remove the EXhaust pulley, flip it over front to back, and re-install it. 110 EX is now facing forward.

11) Rotate each of the pulleys three teeth to align those new 110 teeth on the imaginary centerline between the camshafts.

12) Re-install the timing belt and tension it properly.

Now both cams are timed to 110 MOP.

Make certain the timing belt's orientation on the auxiliary pulley doesn't change (ie, the same teeth engage after the timing belt is replaced. Any change of tooth mesh at the auxiliary pulley will require a corresponding change to the distributor's timing, so it's less work to make certain the aux pulley's registration on the timing belt doesn't change.

If nothing else has changed, then expect the idle rpm to be slightly higher with the new cam timing. Let the engine fully warm up, then re-set the idle speed to 900 - 1000 rpm.

Lotus OEM pulleys aren't stamped with the MOP number. Instead, the timing mark is a drill-point dot on the pulley rim, filled with colored paint. The paint color indicates the MOP.

110 = Red
104 = Green
102.5 = Yellow
100 = Blue

On a single MOP-pulley with only a Blue dot, it's truly 100 MOP. On a dual-MOP pulley with both a Red and Blue dot, the Blue dot is really 97 MOP. The pulley's geometry doesn't support both MOPs on one pulley. So the desired Red 110 MOP is protected and accurate. The unwanted "Emissions" Blue dot MOP is 'cheated' to the nearest tooth, resulting in 97 MOP.

Good luck,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 09-11-2019 12:57 am by Esprit2

Posted: 05-10-2016 01:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
66th Post
westsideclay

Thanks for your input but as I stated previously I'm on hiatus while I decide if I want another "learning experience" with this car I shouldn't be having this problem as I built the engine in the first place and drove the car for eight years before this. When I decide what I'm going to do I'll get back into this.

Posted: 10-06-2016 10:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
67th Post
qwerty

Hi All,  I'm a new JH owner and learning the ropes, i request your patience.

I'm trying to work out this timing, it was done by my late father. I know my way around an engine but not specifically cam timing, it's a little over my head for the time being.

Would anyone know what the MOP timing of the white marks are? I understand MOP yet it's the why i don't understand. I remember when we first drove it home it was terrible but after a few months it was running very very good!

I'm yet to turn over the enigine, even by hand as it's been sitting for a while so i have some work to do.

Not sure yet how to post two images in sequence yet, i will post another below of his thoughts at the time which may help.

Attachment: WhiteMarks.jpg (Downloaded 189 times)

Posted: 10-06-2016 10:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
68th Post
qwerty

Camshaft Drawing

Attachment: Camshaft1.jpg (Downloaded 189 times)

Posted: 10-10-2016 05:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
69th Post
Esprit2

The second file, the camshaft drawing, is pretty illegible. I've reversed the color bias so that it has a white background, but the resolution is still low, fuzzy. Can you re-write the notes in a message here?

What cams are installed in the engine? Can you confirm what MOP pulleys are used. From what I can see, I presume they're the standard Lotus dual MOP pulleys, 110 red dot and 100 blue dot. But it's not good to guess when timing cams, so please confirm the starting point... what cams and pulleys are installed?

For the sake of conversation, let's say the pulleys are the 110 MOP (red)/ 100 MOP (blue). In that case, the first thing for you to understand is that there were separate single-MOP pulleys that were true 110 MOP (red) and 100 MOP (blue). But 110 and 100 do not fit on the same pulley, so the 110/100 dual MOP pulley cheats, and the blue dots are really 97 MOP, not 100. If your father had tried to reverse engineer the pulley's math based on 110 and 100 being 4 teeth apart and the pulley flipped over, it would have driven him nutz... it doesn't work.

Also, there are 40 teeth on the pulley, and 360 degrees in a circle, so 9 degrees per tooth. However, cams are timed in 'crankshaft degrees', and there's a 2:1 ratio in crank & cam speeds. Therefore, each tooth is 18 crankshaft degrees. One tooth beyond the red dot 110 MOP advances the cam timing 18 degrees, or 92 MOP, which is not a useful value with the OEM cams.

The white marks in your first photo have no value in timing the stock J-H 907 cams.

If the cams are stock C-cams, and the pulleys are 110/100 (97), then the best cam timing to use is 110 IN and 110 EX. The Lotus 100 (97) and JH 115 MOPs were emissions settings, and results in a loss of power compared to 110 IN/110 EX.

The photo shows the pulleys to be installed the correct way around. The raised bump on one spoke faces forward on the exhaust pulley, and backward on the intake pulley. That's correct.

Now, rotate the crank until it's at TDC. Then the red dot next the the IN mark on the intake pulley should align with the red dot next to the EX mark on the exhaust pulley. That will give the design-correct 110/110 MOP.

The original JH 115/115 MOP reduces power output about 10 Hp. If you want to use that setting (why ??) it's also on the 110/100 (97) pulley, just not marked.

In your first attachment, the photo of the pulleys, refer to the intake pulley... it's the most straight-on shot, and the easiest to read.

The timing dot farthest to the left/ counter-clockwise (nearest the white mark) is red, or 110 MOP. The alternative blue timing dot is 4 teeth clockwise, and is 100 (97) MOP... EXCEPT it's next to an EX mark. Follow that tooth to the back side of the pulley, and you'll find a second blue dot next to an IN mark. To time the cam to 100 (97) MOP, the pulley must first be removed, flipped over front-to-back, and re-installed (ie, raised bump facing forward on the intake pulley, or facing backward on the exhaust pulley). Then rotate the INtake pulley until the blue dot next to the alternate IN mark aligns with the dot next to the EX mark on the EXhaust pulley.

Similarly, the missing 115 MOP dot would be three teeth to the right/ clockwise from the red dot, on the tooth next to the tooth with the blue dot... next to the EX mark. Again, follow that tooth to the back side, and that's where the 115 dot would be next, to the IN mark.

So you have your choice of three MOPs with the pulleys shown in the photo. But, IMHO, unless local emissions inspections will not allow the OEM cam timing to be altered, there's no desireable reason to use either of the alternative MOPs, 100 (97), or 115. The engine will run it's best if you time the stock cams to 110 red IN / 110 red EX.

But before taking all that to the bank, first confirm what cams are installed in the engine, and look for any marks stamped on the pulleys that indicate the MOP. Normally, the MOP would be stamped on at least one side.

Good luck,
Tim Engel

Attachment: JH Cam Timing for qwerty - White Background.JPG (Downloaded 165 times)

Last edited on 10-10-2016 05:52 pm by Esprit2

Posted: 10-10-2016 06:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
70th Post
Esprit2

JHPS allows file attachments up to 102kb, and your drawing is only 17kb. Do you have a higher resolution version that you could post?

Regards,
Tim Engel

Posted: 10-10-2016 07:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
71st Post
qwerty

Thanks Tim, that sheds a bit of light on the subject.

I'm sure he knew that the 110/110 timing was correct for the engine without emissions and is why the white marks have piqued my interest, maybe he messed about with the overlaps as seen n the drawing allowing it to breathe a little better. It has DHLA45's on it. I doubt is has a different Cam but i will check ...how do i check?

I'm sorry i can't get it any bigger that the attachment without going over the limit.

The Notes to the bottom left are:

RED DOT        110 MOP
BLUE DOT       100 MOP
YELLOW DOT  102.5 MOP
GREEN DOT    104 MOP

EUROPEAN SPECS  INLET 102.5 A.T.D.C.
                              EX   102.5 B.T.D.C.
NORTH AM SPECS  INLET 100    A.T.D.C.
                              EX   110    B.T.D.C.

Attachment: CAM.PNG (Downloaded 162 times)

Last edited on 10-10-2016 07:39 am by qwerty

Posted: 10-10-2016 07:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
72nd Post
qwerty

Absolutely no numbers on Cam wheels, front or back.

Attachment: IN.JPG (Downloaded 162 times)

Posted: 10-10-2016 07:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
73rd Post
qwerty

Ex

Attachment: EX.JPG (Downloaded 160 times)

Posted: 10-10-2016 07:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
74th Post
qwerty

"If the cams are stock, and the pulleys are 110/100 (97), then the best cam timing to use is 110 IN and 100 EX. 100 (97) and 115 were emissions settings, and results in a loss of power compared to 110 IN/110 EX."

Is that a typo Tim, should that read 110 IN /110 EX?

I apreciate your knowledge Tim, i've read quite a few of your posts regarding cams in order to understand them.

Regards
Peter

Posted: 10-10-2016 08:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
75th Post
subwoofer

You have both cams installed with Red Dot (110MOP) as the valid timing mark, but if I am not much mistaken they have been timed one tooth advanced (if the white marks are anything to go by).

--
Joachim

Posted: 10-10-2016 09:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
76th Post
qwerty

That's what it looks like yet for anyone reading please note  i am a complete novice when it comes to Cam Timing.

I wan't to get it running with this timing first. I remember spending a lot of time on this and at the end of it all the JH ran very very well. Dad without doubt knew what he was doing, i know that much. Timing it to Red dots 110/110 would have been a no brainer for him as i have already learn't through reading and he would have done through calling people in the know. He didn't have access to internet resources back then, only a bunch of manuals sent over from Cropperby Bridge and AutoCad. This is the whole reason i'm exploring this. Maybe it does have non standard cams, as yet i do not know. Maybe it's to let the DHLA 45's breathe.

For now though i have to get over the damned Manflu. Greg's box of goodies (ps thanks for packing the inside rad hoses with styrofoam haha, i'm assuming this is so they wouldn't be crushed in transit??), a Gates blue belt, wheels, tyres, tools and steering wheel came in last week and i was all set to have a dirty weekend untill the sniffles happened!!

Last edited on 10-10-2016 09:43 am by qwerty

Posted: 10-10-2016 10:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
77th Post
qwerty

Tim,

Thinking out loud here, Could this be the end result of the Aux pulley being out by 1 or more teeth and correcting for it?

Posted: 10-10-2016 10:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
78th Post
subwoofer

That would make things even worse, as the ignition timing likely would be out as well (although that can be corrected by turning the dizzy).

But I know for a fact that a 907 with C cams (standard issue JH spec) will run two teeth off on the cams, just not well. Open the cam covers to look for the cam markings, IIRC the standard JH cam will have a number of 'C's stamped in somewhere behind the pulley seal, later Lotus spec cams will have an 'E' (Eclat/Esprit S1), '4' (104-cam, intake side on later NA engines) or '7' (107-cam, turbo spec).

Any aftermarket cam would not be ground one tooth off for sure.

--
Joachim

Posted: 10-10-2016 12:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
79th Post
qwerty

Thanks Joachim,

I will be taking the cam covers off later this week or on the weekend. I will look for markings.

Posted: 10-10-2016 06:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
80th Post
Esprit2

qwerty wrote:
(Snip)... I doubt is has a different Cam but i will check ...how do i check?
On the stock, OEM cams, there were marks on the bit of exposed cam between the pulley and the cam carrier's front seal. The first marks were grooves cut around the cam, none, one, or two grooves. Later, the grooves gave way to a series of numbers stamped around the shaft.

No mark = C-cam, the J-H OEM cam, 272° duration, 0.340" Lift, 110 MOP. This was also the original Lotus cam used for Federal 907 engines.

1 Groove = D-Cam, Orig Lotus Euro 907 cam, 270° Duration, 0.350" Lift, 110 MOP.

2 Grooves = E-Cam, Later Lotus Euro 907 cam, 260° Duration, 0.344" Lift, 102.5 MOP. The 907 was designed by the same motorsports enthusiasts who brought us the berzerker Seven, Elite Mk 14, Elan and Europa, and the Lotus-Ford Twin Cam engine. And they were still in berzerker-mode when they designed it. They did not anticipate that their new customers for the 3rd Generation cars (4-seat Elite-Eclat, and Esprit), would not appreciate having to drive the cars with their foot mashing the throttle to the floor.

When they began to see the light, the E-cam was their first attempt to make the 907 more mild, with a stronger low-end torque curve... at the expense of top-end, balls-out power. It's the same design philosophy use in the later 107 cam, but the E-cam was a smaller step in the mild/ torque cam direction. The 107 took the idea further.

7777777... stamped all around the cam = 107-cam, 912LC & 910 cam, 252° Duration, 0.378" Lift, 104 MOP. This cam goes even further in the direction of improving low-end torque and driveability in commuter traffic, but at further expense of top end power. A 9XX engine with two 104 cams will still reach redline, eventually, but it clearly starts to run out of breath above 5000 rpm... definitely above 5500 rpm.

4444444... stamped all around the cam = 104-cam, 912HC Intake cam (along with 107 on exhaust), 272° Duration, 0.410-0.420" Lift, 104 MOP, 64 Overlap.

5555s, 6666s & 88888s indicate the 105, 106 & 108 competition cams that are not appropriate for street use.

The trouble is that a lot (most) of the non-stock cams now found in 907s are re-ground. Some vendor took an original C-cam and re-ground it to meet E-cam, 107 or 104 specs. And most of them didn't bother to alter or add an identifying mark. You really can't tell just by looking what it is. In that case, measuring the "Lift" will give you some clue whether the cam is stock, or something else. If something else, then does it match the lift given for one of the other 'Lotus' cams given above. If not, and it's a totally different aftermarket grind, then your guess is as good as mine.

*~*~*
Early on, Lotus used one part number for all cams, but with a different Alpha prefix identifying each cam... hence the C-cam, D-cam, E-cam naming. Later, Lotus changed the part number format, and each cam got it's own discrete part number, and the common name became the last 3 digits of the 'serial number' portion of the part number... ie, 104 & 107 cams. The fact that the 104 cam also has a 104 MOP is purely coincidental. The C-cam, etc, also got new part numbers, but the fans still use the old alpha-names.

(Snip).... The Notes to the bottom left are:
Here's your notes with some info added:
RED DOT ....... 110 MOP = design correct MOP for C-cam & D-cam
BLUE DOT ...... 100 MOP = Federal emissions timing for C-cam & D-cam
YELLOW DOT .. 102.5 MOP = design correct MOP for E-cam.
GREEN DOT .... 104 MOP = design correct MOP for 104 & 107 cams

North American Specs - J-H, after Engine Number 10480, and all Lotus 907s for North America.
This is the most extreme emissions spec ever used on the 907, and it's the spec that earned the "Torqueless Wonder" name.
C-Cam on Intake & Exhaust.
INtake. = 100 ATDC MOP .. BLUE Dot
EXhaust = 110 BTDC Mop .. RED Dot

That's the red-blue dot, dual-MOP pulleys for the Federal emissions 907s, with the C-cam. The Red-Blue pulleys could also be used to time the D-cams to 110 MOP.

North American Specs - J-H, from Engine Number 4030 to 10479
C-Cam on Intake & Exhaust
INtake. = 110 ATDC MOP .. RED Dot

That's the Design-Correct timing for the C-cam.

North American Specs - J-H, prior to Engine Number 4030
C-Cam on Intake & Exhaust
INtake. = 115 ATDC MOP .. No color - "IF" anything, white.
EXhaust = 115 BTDC Mop .. No color - "IF" anything, white.

All else being equal, this 115 / 115 cam timing costs the stock 1972-73 907 about 10 Hp. Simply re-time the stock '72-'73 907's cams to 110 / 110 in order to pick-up 10 free horsepower.

Initial UK, Euro & Rest of World Specs - LOTUS' own, initally used for ALL Euro/ ROW 907s outside North America. A 'little bit' boy-racer.
D-Cam on Intake & Exhaust
INtake. = 110 ATDC MOP .. RED Dot

That's the Design-Correct timing for the D-cam. At no point did Lotus ever use non-standard 'emissions cam timing on the D-Cam.

Later UK, Euro & Rest of World Specs - LOTUS' own 907, introduced later as Lotus' first attempt to detune the 907 outside North America. If the JH-popular 107 cam is a full step milder, then the E-cam was a half step milder.
E-Cam on Intake & Exhaust
INtake. = 102.5 ATDC MOP .. YELLOW Dot
EXhaust = 102.5 BTDC Mop .. YELLOW Dot

That's the Design-Correct timing for the E-cam. At no point did Lotus ever use non-standard 'emissions cam timing on the E-Cam.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 05-04-2019 07:39 pm by Esprit2

Current time is 05:12 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > cams, valve timing and ignition timing Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems