Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Big Stereos and Alternator Death

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Big Stereos and Alternator Death  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-22-2009 04:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
marvinm

Anyone have any experience with multiple amp stereo systems running off a "vintage" Delco alternator?  Once I figure out how to get it all into the car, I'll end up with 1660 watts of noise makers in the vehicle.  I haven't added up the amperage draw for all the various components, but am curious if anyone has any thoughts on killing the alternator with the additional work.

MarvinM - 10927

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-22-2009 06:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JodyKerr

Ok, before I go too far, I want to point out that Big Amps != Good sound. I see way too many cars around here with more power than is necessary and it sounds like crap.

Speaker placement and adequate power drive to said speakers is far more important than overall output. What type of speaker placement are you planning? Obviously, the stock mounts are pretty small, so you can't put much / do much with them. My assumption is that you're building a big box onto the parcel shelf.

Now, back to the actual question. For things to run reliably with a suitably "amped" car you'll have to upgrade the alternator, and I also recommend a high quality battery (e.g. optima). The original car doesn't really eat that many amps when running, there's not enough electrical components in there to need that much. Also keep in mind that these alternators are 30 years old. You'll need to calculate out the entire draw of the system, including the needs of the original car electrics, to determine the capacity alternator. At that point, it's a matter of finding the right alternator for the job.

Jody

Posted: 06-01-2009 02:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
marvinm

Yes, this is mainly an exercise in overkill, but I can hear the music at 80 mph.  The bigger irony is that I mainly listen to talk radio anyway.

Just hooked up the 760 (2,3 or 4-way) watt amp and it seems to be fine.  Will hold off on hooking up the 900 (single channel) watt amp until I splurge for a new alternator.

Thanks - MarvinM - 10927

Current time is 07:41 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Big Stereos and Alternator Death Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems