Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Modern Paint codes  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-14-2009 03:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
francisg

Does anyone know what the factory paint codes are or their equivalents from Dupont, PPG, or Sherwin Williams? No one has been able to cross over the ICI paint codes for me. Are one part acrylic urethane as maintenance free and durable as the base coat / clear coat combination? I am looking at repainting my new project the original Tangerine Orange color. Thanks for the info.

Francis G

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-14-2009 11:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
francisg

For anytone considering matching the Tangerine Orange of the factory color. I had a color scan made by a automotive paint shop, the closest match from a factory color code is for a 2005 Chrysler code PV5 called Impact Orange. This result is from Dupont scan for Chromabase BC paint system (base + clear coat)

Posted: 05-15-2009 12:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Thanks for the info, when my project gets done it's going to stay with the original orange color ....... Groovey Baby, 70's retro, roaring down the highway with the 8-track blasting.

Brett

Posted: 05-15-2009 01:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
colinw59

Hi Francis

I own a body shop in CT, and may be able to help you with paint codes. What paint system (manufacturer) do you want to refinish in? We use ICI now, but did used PPG in the past. Do you have the Jensen paint code for Tangerine? Basecoat/clearcoat is more durable than single stage, and will result in a better, deeper gloss, especially on dark colors. However cars of this ere were originaly painted with single stage and I believe were also air cured. Basecoat/clearcoat is however more expensive to apply as the car will have to effectively be painted twice, once for each stage. In defence of modern single stage paints, they are significantly better than what was original applied to your JH. They are a three part product (color, hardener & solvent) and harden/cure due to a chemical reaction rather than by drying or by solvent evaporation. I am restoring a 74 MGB Roadster (seen in the link below), and am going to be using a very high quality single stage paint. When I restored the JH in the link below, I repainted it with basecoat/clearcoat  Colin

http://jhppg.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=32859

Last edited on 05-15-2009 01:11 pm by colinw59

Posted: 05-15-2009 02:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
francisg

Colin,

Thanks for the info. I have an ICI paint code i found on the message board (ICI M0788483) but could not find anyone using ICI paints or someone that could give me the cross reference to either Dupont, PPG or Sherwin-Williams. I do not have the original factory color code as the tag is illegible. I am planning on using a Base coat and Clear coat combination, probably using the Dupont Chromabase system as i can get this paint made up. The paint supplier suggested equivalent paints by a company called LIMCO at a significant savings however i have never heard of them.

When i priced the paint whether it was the single stage or 2 stage paint system the cost was identical when using the Dupont products. The paint store estimated that 2 quarts of base coat should be enough for the whole car, or should i get more? Thanks for the help.

Francis G

Posted: 05-15-2009 03:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
colinw59

I would stick with paint I know for a restoration. In the fullness of time, saving a small amount on material could bit you in the bum down the line, or worse immediatlely. It's the application of the paint that will cost more, not so much the material itself. For basecoat/clearcoat the painter will first, after proper preparation, paint the car tangerine and when that has dried go over it with several coats of clear. With single stage, he will paint it once. The single stage will harden glossy, basecoat however will dry flat with the clear providing the gloss & protection. I can't answer you question regarding paint quantity as there are several factors to consider. Are you painting just the exterior, or a full repaint meaning jambs (doors, hood & trunk off) engine bay, trunk and interior? The higher the quality of paint the better the coverage and therefore less paint you will need.  However if money is tight and if you should run out of paint, you can always buy more. Although that may annoy the painter!  Also you will want some left over in case of any errors in painting, reasssembly or accident damage that may occur later on. By the way, store the left over paint in as small a can as possible.

Posted: 11-15-2010 08:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
philharmonic

Hi Francis,
Did you ever get the paint code for Tang. Orange? 19631 was originally orange and i want to paint it the correct color. It is it's first paint job ever and I want to make it look right. the code ici mo788483 was no help to my paint mix-master. he needs a dupont or ppg code or something to cross reference

Posted: 11-15-2010 09:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
francisg

Philharmonic,

I ran into the same problem with the factory paint code and had to have the paint scanned by Finish Master in San Rafafel CA for a match using Dupont Chromabase paint (no longer available in CA but still OK in OR and NV). What the paint store came up with as the closest color, is the 2005 Chrysler "impact Orange" code PV5 used on the Dodge Challenger. For 2 quarts of base coat paint it will take the following:

853J     Red Orange                       368.3

884J     LS Red Oxide                     549.2

807J     LS Black                             629.1

886J     Opaque Red                      662.5

801J     HS White                           684.4

150K     B/C Balancer                    1617.5

175K     Binder                               1762.7

I hope that helps. Good luck

Francis G

Posted: 11-15-2010 09:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
philharmonic

Thanks Francis,
I may use that code. My paint guy has a color analyzer that could help. There is some paint under the license plate that looks great so i may be able to match that.

Posted: 11-15-2010 10:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
francisg

I simply took the trunk lid off

Posted: 02-18-2011 02:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Greg_M

OK, so don't keep us in suspense, what did you come up with?  I will need to paint my JH in a couple of months and it is also Tangerine.  Would like to use the original color.

Cheers

Posted: 02-18-2011 04:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
philharmonic

I am still looking. I will paint the car in a month or so If I have to use a computer match, I f you find anything please let me know. I did get a guy who is looking in old dupont books. It is getting down to the wire

Posted: 06-19-2011 01:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Greg_M

OK, everybody PPG has our paint in thier computer.  Just went to my local Lacquer Distributor Inc., because they mixed me RM Inc. Paint 30 years ago and hoped they could still do it.  They no longer caried RM but I gave them the Factory Paint code and there it was.  So for the Tangerine here is the skinny.

Manufacture: Jensen
Brand Code: 72139  Main Layer 72139
OEM Code: 8483
Description: Tangerine
Mixing Scheme: DURACRYL (DDL Leaded)
VOC Reg. 5.07 lbs/gal
VOC Act. 5.07 lbs/gal
Variant: PRIME
Revision Date: 11/26/1990

I have the actual mixing data if they can't find it from this.  Not all shops may carry the tints needed.

1 quart cost $138

Cheers,

Greg Moore

Posted: 06-19-2011 11:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
philharmonic

Thanks Greg,
I am so grateful! I was about to try the impact orange. I am going to talk to my paint guy with this info next week. Again; Thanks a lot!

Current time is 11:21 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Modern Paint codes Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems