Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Door rattle  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-12-2009 05:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
mcguan.2

I have a '73 Jensen that I recently brought back to life after sitting for a year and a half.  It's driving pretty well, so now I'm starting to attack some of the less critical problems.

Both the driver's and passenger's doors rattle when cruising around the city, as if they're only loosely latched.  Upon inspection, it seems that the weatherstripping on both is split open lengthwise and basically completely "deflated".  Could this account for the entire degree to which the doors wiggle when driving?  Or maybe the U-bolt latch that attaches to the body is worn from years of use?  Does anyone have any experience with this?  And does Delta sell replacement weatherstripping?  It seems to me that the weatherstripping alone wouldn't account for the entire problem, but it seems like there aren't even that many moving parts that I could blame.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-12-2009 07:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensenman

Bad weatherstrips will definitely cause a door rattle. When the outside of the door is even with the rear fender, the weatherstrip should be contacting the outside of the door trim panel, they should be compressed and it should take a good bit of force to 'wiggle' the door. If the inner door panels are missing or have been cut too short (like homemade panels I have seen) so that they do not contact the weatherstrip, that will do it as well. If the door does not fit even with the fender, the striker (the U bolt you mentioned) should be adjusted inward. Warning: those are not held in place with Phillips screws, they are #3 'Posidrivs' and a Phillips will strip them quickly!

Posted: 05-12-2009 07:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
mcguan.2

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll look into all this.  One more thing, on the interior weatherstrips, they sit on a long "bracket" that is connected to the body.  Is it possible that this bracket has gotten bent inward over the years?

Posted: 05-12-2009 09:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensenman

That's the 'pinch weld' where the inner and outer body members are joined together. It's doubtful they are bent. It's easy to check, though; pull the weatherstrip off then see if the pinchweld is vertical. If so, then it's fine.

Posted: 11-04-2010 09:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
mdutch

Has anyone found a source for replacing the weatherstripping on the pinch-weld? Does it match up with any other vehicles or OEM mfg?

Posted: 11-04-2010 10:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
JodyKerr

Jim @ Delta sells Weatherstripping Looks good on my project car.

Posted: 11-05-2010 01:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

http://www.macgregorukcarparts.com/index.html

These guy's are pretty good as well

Current time is 03:00 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Door rattle Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems