Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Changing motor mounts?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-01-2009 08:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
subwoofer

The motor mounts turned out to be split in two, no wonder there was some movement when revving! Easy enough to get the first (left) one out, since it was split, but replacing it has left me scratching my head.

I can lift the engine, but about 3/4" before I can insert the new mount, something catches on something else, so I start lifting the entire car instead of just the engine. I can't see anything hitting, so it must be somewhere back in the tunnel.

Does anyone have any hints as to how to go about this? I'm not too keen on pulling the engine completely just now.

--
Joachim

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-01-2009 09:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensenman

The exhaust header is probably catching on the steering shaft (I assume your car is left hand drive). If you loosen the steering shaft pinch bolts, the shaft may slide up enough to allow the mount to be replaced. You could also take the steering rack bolts out and acomplish the same thing. Come to think of it, that would be easier and no you wouldn't have to realign the suspension afterwards.

Posted: 05-01-2009 10:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
subwoofer

You mean that the exhaust header is catching on the u-joint just above it? That sounds plausible. I'm not entirely sure on how to loosen the steering rack without pulling the engine, it seems to me the nuts holding it are sort of buried in the crossmember, so I'll go for loosening the pinch bolts, and possibly the entire steering column?

I have a new steering column lower bush ready (I have a bit of play in the steering, so while ordering a new soft top from Rejen I decided to get that piece just in case. This sounds like the time to install it?

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-03-2009 06:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
subwoofer

I must say it doesn't look like it's the header catching the steering shaft either.

I think I'm opting for plan B, dropping the front of the crossmember. The brakes are disassembled, so loosening the brake piping is no big deal, I'll just block up the oil pan and release the two main bolts holding the front axle. That should give me the space I need.

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-04-2009 09:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
subwoofer

Got it!

The solution came to me while shopping for tools this afternoon. I had tried to do the mounts one at the time, which turned out to be a mistake.

When I took out both mounts, I could move the engine sideways after lifting it, then I could get the LHS mount in by pushing the engine all the way to the right, and then pushing it back to the left, I was able to get the RHS one in.

--
Joachim

Posted: 08-18-2009 06:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
rtclark

Where did you buy the Mounts?, How much trouble were they to replace. (other then the points you made)

Thanks,

Rory

Posted: 08-19-2009 06:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
subwoofer

I think I got them from Martin Robey in England. Been collecting parts from all over, so it's a bit hard to be really sure.

The new ones are a larger diameter, but causes no interference.

--
Joachim

Current time is 12:01 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Changing motor mounts? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems