Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
My alternator is rattling  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-01-2009 01:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
andrewo

My 74 is back on the road after almost 20 years. Since I bought it non-running, I had never heard it before a few days ago. I almost immediately noticed an annoying rattle from under the hood, and I think I have it narrowed down to the alternator, which despite the noise still seems to be generating good voltage.

Is this a common fault? Does it mean the bearings are going? Should I just get another alternator before it strands me?

Thanks.

Andrew

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-01-2009 12:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Finch

You've probably already done this but if not double check to make sure all three mounting bolts are (still) tight. Try putting a wood dowel or long screw driver on it then to your ear to make sure the sound is comming from it. Don't let your clothes get caught the belt! One of my mtg bolts worked loose and was rattling. Also had mine rebuilt for about $60.00 IIRC about 4 years ago. Quick turn around and so far no problems. Good luck!

John

Last edited on 05-01-2009 12:19 pm by John Finch

Posted: 05-01-2009 01:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Andrew, I have to agree with John, getting your alternator rebuilt is much better than buying a mass produced rebuilt, you know what condition yours is in, and the shop that usaully does the work is local to you, so you help the local economy, plus should you have any issues later you can just stop by and pay a visit.

Brett

Posted: 05-02-2009 02:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
dwalls1

I had the center of the fan break out on the Lucas Alternator on a TR7. Looked and worked OK, just weird noises.

Posted: 05-02-2009 03:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
andrewo

Well, I tried very hard to get it rebuilt locally, since it would have been faster, but several places have closed, and the one that has a good reputation wouldn't touch a Lucas. Go figure. I wound up ordering from Delta, and Jim was doing everything he could to get it to me by tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed. Should be an easy job once it's here. I sure hope this is what it turns out to be, because if that rattle is anything else, it probably means something much worse.

Oh, and here's another weird symptom. When I turned on the lights on my way home tonight, the noise seemed to mostly go away for a bit, but then it came back.

Last edited on 05-02-2009 03:05 am by andrewo

Posted: 05-02-2009 11:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jim Ketcham

Disconnect the fan belt and run the car.  If the noise is still there than it is not the alternator.  If the noise goes away it is the alternator or the water pump.

Jim

Current time is 02:19 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > My alternator is rattling Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems