New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Trans Swap Options  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-29-2009 04:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dakota123

Hello,

after asking a couple of folks about their recent experiences with CC, I'm very reluctant to rely on them as a source for a W5X install kit.  I haven't seen that there are any other options, though.  Does anyone know of any other sources for 5-spd install kits?  Doesn't necessarily have to be for a W5X (although that is my preference). 

Thoughts appreciated,

Mike

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-29-2009 06:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensenman

I ran into the same thing, I think Conversion Components has either quit with the J-H kits or has gone out of business. That's why I decided to 'homebrew' mine. The tale of that swap is covered in the club magazine; Parts 1 and 2 have been published already, Part 3 is due in the next issue.

AFAIK there were/are no other 'kits' available to swap a 5 speed anything else into a J-H. I *think* a T5 or T56 5 speed (like used in Mustangs and Camaros) have been installed but again that's a 'homebrew', no kit available.

Posted: 04-29-2009 06:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensenman

Fatfingers, double post. Oops.

Last edited on 04-29-2009 06:57 pm by Jensenman

Posted: 04-29-2009 07:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Dakota123

Yeah, after reading Part Two of your home brew article (I joined JHPS too late to receive Part 1) I decided a kit was preferable.  I used to have a complete machine shop available, once upon a time, but those days are gone.

The item that stops me dead in my tracks is the bellhousing.  The rest of it appears to be relatively easy to resolve.

*sigh*

Mike

Posted: 04-29-2009 08:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Steve Johnson

I am currently doing the w-58 transmission conversion now, check with Mike at http://www.lotusbits.com  I got the bellhousing from a late lotus Excel from him and am currently doing a hydraulic clutch conversion, do not have machine shop to be able to do as Jensenman did, i have been in contact with him and he was a big help.

Steve

Posted: 04-30-2009 01:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
dwalls1

I don't mean to hi jack this thread, but have you considered an overdrive unit? I have one sitting in my garage that I had hoped to be installing by now. But, since I broke my collarbone two weeks ago, I have had to put the install off. I may change my mind as I get into the project as I have zero experience with O/D, let alone installing one, but so far I am pleased with what I got and the cost of the unit.

Posted: 04-30-2009 02:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jensenman

Actually, getting the bellhousing was (for me) one of the easiest parts of the whole project. I got mine from lotusbits as well.

Steve, how are you mounting the master cylinder for the clutch? About the only thing I could find which didn't involve massive reworking of the pedal mounts was a 'pull' type master cylinder from a circle track car. Don't remember who made it, I do remember it was pricey and I would have had to do a remote reservoir and all kinds of stuff. Or putting a 'push' type cylinder under the dash, much cutting and nearly inacessible afterwards, or building a hybrid cable to work a remote mounted linkage, lots of fabrication and lost motion in the linkage.

In fact, I'm converting the rotary tranny for my other project from a hydraulic to a cable setup. 

Last edited on 04-30-2009 02:53 am by Jensenman

Posted: 04-30-2009 05:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Dakota123

Steve,

the hydraulic actuator is optional, or is it required due to the Excel bellhousing (RH drive or something)?

Dale,

I had considered an overdrive unit, but from the board posts (most of which I now realize are from 2005  -- 2007) it seemed like the CC kit was the better choice for me.  I thought I was all set with a plan and bought a transmission.  I'm not commited to this route exactly (it should be fairly easy to unload the transmission on eBay if it comes to that) but I want to exhaust my options before moving on.  (Hope there's a good story behind the broken collarbone a least...)

Posted: 04-30-2009 03:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
jgreen

Guys,

I have a 5 speed CC kit installed. It works great, but I will have to go to a specialized shop to get a clutch/pressure plate/ and throwout bearing when the time comes as CC is ridiculous to deal with. I have email them probably 50 times and never received a response. I was offering to buy a few clutches/pressure plates etc. to last the life of the car, so I wouldn't have to worry. No way, Colin never respond to emails/phone calls.

I do have a contact who is interested in making kits ( complete with  Bellhousing) if anybody is interested. I would "donate" my bellhousing so the computer can measure it. The rest of the kit components can be "borrowed" from my car to manufacture. This would probably be the best way to go if enough people are interested in the conversion. Just some thoughts..... Please email me if interested and if enough people are interested, maybe they will manufacture a few here in the USA.

Posted: 04-30-2009 03:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Dakota123

I'd certainly be interested, if this were to happen in a reasonable time frame. 

FWIW, Colin popped up this morning with an e-mail to me.  Might be a good time to try to reach him!

Mike

Posted: 09-09-2011 03:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Steve Johnson

Here is a picture of clutch master cylinder, used original clutch cable to the bellcrank for the cylinder, then to the slave on bellhousing, This cable just broke on Tuesday, should have replacement (Delta) today and change it out tomorrow.

Steve

Attachment: 061309FountainValleyCarShow450-vi.jpg (Downloaded 410 times)

Posted: 09-09-2011 03:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Steve Johnson

here is another picture.

steve

Attachment: 061309FountainValleyCarShow451-vi.jpg (Downloaded 405 times)

Posted: 09-24-2011 11:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
normv

Found thi on th net , a JH hydrolic clutch conversion

http://www.healeyjournal.com/pages/jensentransmission.html

Posted: 09-24-2011 03:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
JodyKerr

I know James from AH circles. It certainly helps to have Martin Shirley nearby. :)

Posted: 11-14-2011 05:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
StevenD57

Steve Johnson wrote: here is another picture.

steve
Don't you have these pictures in a higher resolution? It is very difficult to see any details in those dinky photos.

Posted: 11-14-2011 05:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
StevenD57

Also I am in the process of doing the engineering to install a W58 with the Lotus bellhousing. I am sticking with the original Jensen-Healey clutch cable. I am working on making the the original JH clutch fork work with the Lotus Excel bellhousing. I am using the clutch pressure plate and disk from a 1984 Toyota Celica with the original JH flywheel. It is a 8 7/8 inch clutch instead of a 8.5 inch. I am having the JH flywheel redrilled to accept the Toyota pressure plate.

I still have to work out what to do about the throwout bearing mating with the Toyota input shaft sleeve. I.E. the piece that the throwout bearing slides back and forth on. The Toyota one is slightly smaller diameter than the JH one so the JH throwout bearing sleeve fits rather loose on the Toyota T/O sleeve.

Posted: 11-29-2011 11:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
superk83

Sweet, keep us updated...!

Posted: 11-29-2011 08:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Frank Schwartz

That is a very nice engine compartment.  Where did you get that blue timing belt??
Frank Schwartz

Posted: 11-29-2011 09:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
StevenD57

The blue belts are the HTD round tooth enhanced belts from JAE.

Posted: 12-04-2011 06:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Jensenman

I went the same route Steve057 did, I mounted a pivot on the opposite side of the bellhousing from the stock Lotus setup and modified a J-H clutch fork to use the Celica release bearing. So far so good.

On my rotary powered J-H, I made a bellcrank for the transmission to change the direction of movement and also the leverage. The stock cable was way too long because the Mazda linkage was on the left side of the transmission instead of the right so I used a much shorter 1980's Acura Integra cable. While doing that, I moved the adjuster to the top, easily accessed from under the hood. It works perfect! Somewhere I have a picture of the bellcrank setup, I'll have to dig it up.

Current time is 03:44 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Trans Swap Options Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems