Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Sending Unit Sealing  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-23-2009 04:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dakota123

I've got a small but persistent leak at the fuel sending unit, just enough to wet about 1/2 an inch under the sending unit.  I've tried using aviation form-a-gasket on both sides of the rubber gasket, with no luck.  (It may be that it is not gasoline-resistant enough.)

The tank itself seems to be in relatively good shape, with only a couple of rust spots just starting.

Any tricks to getting this to seal? 

Thanks,

Mike

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-23-2009 02:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensenman

There's not much out there that will seal gasoline which will still allow later removal. Hylomar or Loctite 518 *might* work but I kinda doubt it. I'd replace the sending unit gasket (if you haven't already). The sending unit gasket should be available from Delta, if not check someone like Victoria British.

If the 'tabs' that the sending unit locknut goes under are bent outwards that will make it leak too. Loosen the locknut, use a small hammer to tap the tabs down, reinstall the lockring.

Posted: 04-23-2009 03:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Dakota123

Thanks.  While it is indeed leaking from the gasket, it also appears to be leaking from the fitment itself -- the larger (rolled in? spot welded?) area around the sending unit. 

I'm picking up Joel's aluminum tank and will hopefully be done with it and on to more fun things.  (Yeah, it's a Jorge tank.)

Mike

Posted: 05-05-2009 08:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Dakota123

Doh, it was leaking from the gasket but tracking out from under where the sending unit locking flange (the doubler) is attached, making it look like it was leaking from that area.

In any case, I bought Joel's Jorge aluminum tank and installed last night.  No, the welds aren't the prettiest but it doesn't leak.  I did have to take extra care to ensure that the sending unit lock ring was centered under the tabs -- on the first try at tightening it moved off-center and looked like one of the three tabs could disengage if one isn't careful.

On to bushings!

Mike

Current time is 07:54 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > Sending Unit Sealing Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems