Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > J-H hillclimb and AX project

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
J-H hillclimb and AX project  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-24-2013 04:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Jensenman

Here's a lesser vehicle :-D having issues at the same spot in August.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylk7eJ_rjjM

Last edited on 08-24-2013 04:42 pm by Jensenman

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-16-2014 02:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Jensenman

Been a few changes to the car since the last post. It now sports a 13BT (single turbo 13B rotary) and a 4:30-1 gear set. Took it to Road Atlanta a few weeks back.

Last edited on 07-16-2014 02:14 pm by Jensenman

Posted: 07-17-2014 11:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
jcdean

That should have been illegal. Too much fun.

Thanks for that share.

Posted: 07-17-2014 02:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Mitch Ware

I'm heading out to Watkins Glen with #11002 this weekend. Road Atlanta is on my bucket list.

Thanks for posting the video.

Mitch Ware

Posted: 07-17-2014 08:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Frank Schwartz

Hey Mitch!!

That can't be the white JH I sold to Ron Earp years ago who blew up the engine while racing?????

I was asking him if he had a spare 5 speed tranny and rear end but he said the car was trashed...

What can you tell me?????

And watch yourself on the track..remember what my daughter, Patten, did at Watkins Glen when her foot slipped from the brake to the gas pedal and she did a 360 and went up on two wheels...said she thought "If it hit the wall Daddy will never forgive me!"..as I had renovated that car for her.

Posted: 07-17-2014 08:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Frank Schwartz

Hey Mitch!!

That can't be the white JH I sold to Ron Earp years ago who blew up the engine while racing?????

I was asking him if he had a spare 5 speed tranny and rear end but he said the car was trashed...

What can you tell me?????

And watch yourself on the track..remember what my daughter, Patten, did at Watkins Glen when her foot slipped from the brake to the gas pedal and she did a 360 and went up on two wheels...said she thought "If it hit the wall Daddy will never forgive me!"..as I had renovated that car for her.

Posted: 07-23-2014 05:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Mitch Ware

Hi Frank,

Jensenman's hill climb car is Ron's old race car. Mine is a car that I built last year out of a tub that had been sitting in a garage in MA for 20+ years.

#11002 - 1973 Jensen Healey Race Car

On a bad note, I blew the engine out at "The Glen" on Sunday. Not my finest hour. Lost an oil line and didn't see the oil pressure dropping in time to save the bottom end.

Mitch Ware

Posted: 07-23-2014 08:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Frank Schwartz

Oh, gosh..Well, Ron blew his engine...I don't know if it was an oil line or overly stressed and metal fatigue and engine destruction or what . I think he is out of JH Racing...I wanted to get the five speed tranny, bell housing and rear end for the 4 speed one we have here, but he "disposed" of it, he told me....
Those oil lines, like most hoses, are deceptive. They look good, but can be old and brittle. I usually get those steel encased ones from Delta, but wonder if they are any better than the standard replacement hoses. There is a hydraulic hose company n Nashville that often does stuff for me and Mark...they do Caterpillar stuff and the like..but with the proper fittings can put some real tuff lines together. Mark has a JH with early engine (4 speed of course) if you are interested. I know he is not going to work on it and get it on the road and I keep after him to part it out, but he refuses...might be what you need, if you need another "tub"Has most of the stuff with it...just was under a shed for years and is grungy...and does need a bit of body work.... I think the windshield is good, too. If you are interested, I can give you his email.

Posted: 07-24-2014 11:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Lash Russell

Hi Mitch,
Looking at the photos of your race car (my condolences for your latest setback, tough!) it is a beautiful car and the engine bay brings tears of motivation to my eyes. I've wanted to go with the Lotus Cam Towers like you have. Is this a 907 engine? If so, how difficult is the swap? Are there any modifications that need to be fabricated on the head/towers to fit to a 907 or is it a bolt on? Any idea where a set to fit a 907 can be sourced?
Hang in there and good luck getting this beautiful car going again.

Lash

Posted: 07-25-2014 12:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
Randallclary@icloud.com

Steve,

I am interested in his email so I can contact him about the windshield that he may have. I am restoring 13046 and it had a cracked windshield after I removed it. It also was fairly well pitted, so I am looking for a clean windshield without too many pits without having to buy a new one. The one I looked yesterday from British Masters was clean except it was very yellowed around the edges and would be exposed inside the chrome trim.

Randall Clary
909-938-2090 - Cell
randallclary@icloud.com

Posted: 07-28-2014 12:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Mitch Ware

The engine is a 912 block instead of a 907. The 912 is a much stiffer block on the bottom and doesn't require the doweling to make it strong enough to hold up in competition.

The 912 cam towers require no modification, however, the power brake booster is in the way so you have to loosen the pedal box and twist it out of the way.

I got all of the parts at Lotus Bits from Mike Taylor. Very easy to work with and happy to share info.

Mitch Ware

Posted: 08-09-2014 01:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Jensenman

Mitch, hate to hear the motor blew.

Ron had a catastrophic driveshaft failure and, as I discovered when taking things apart, something big broke in the diff. I think the diff seized and the driveshaft broke, then it beat the crap out of the car underneath. He sold the engine and other stuff then gave me the (almost) rolling shell. I got the 4 speed rear axle and front suspension when I got the car, that axle is now under my 'street' J-H with the Toyota trans swap. All the other stuff is mothballed for when I do something dumb!

I was signed up for the 2014 Dragon Hillclimb II this September, I'm wanting to make the 2 minute club and with the boosted motor I think I have a solid shot at it. Unfortunately I have discovered that I have cancer and while the long term prognosis is good in the short term there won't be much racing. Drat.

Posted: 08-11-2014 06:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that Jensenman. Get well soon!

Kurt

Posted: 08-12-2014 12:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
Mitch Ware

Bummer news. Get back behind the wheel soon.

Mitch

Posted: 08-13-2014 06:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
Jensenman

Oh, I will be back driving again soon. I'm already signed up for the February LeMons at Barber Motorsports Park! No, I won't be driving the Jensen. :-D

Posted: 09-08-2014 06:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Jensenman

Thought I'd add a couple pics of the now much busier engine bay.

The next big project is rerouting the exhaust, it will come out of the right side. The reason for that is I need to free up space at the rear of the car for a FIA fuel cell. Not only is that A Good Idea from a safety standpoint no matter what class etc I run, but I *might* go Outlaw Vintage racing with NASA once in a while.

Oh, and short exhaust + rotary + turbocharger + rich for top end power = cool fireballs...

Last edited on 09-08-2014 06:21 pm by Jensenman

Posted: 09-13-2014 01:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

I'm the one that bought the engine out of Ron's car (now your car) after the driveline failure. I have not posted here for awhile, but lurk in the background now and then. The engine lives on in 15371 out here in Oregon. You can find pictures of mine in the photo gallery under Oregon.

That turbo 13B JH should go pretty good I would think. I'm part owner of a 1st gen RX7 Chumpcar that we swapped a 13B into (was a 12A), and it is pretty quick.

Years ago there was a guy here in Oregon, Gene Redick, that converted quite a few JH's to rotory power. He did not think much of the 907's.

Last edited on 09-13-2014 01:12 am by Gary Martin JH 15371

Posted: 09-13-2014 02:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Jensenman

Glad to hear the heart beats on! I like the 907 and have one in 19015, my reasoning for the rotary swap for the race car was it is ultimately cheaper to build a 13BT than to try to assemble a 9xx turbo engine for the same HP. That, and I like it when people scratch their heads...

Posted: 05-13-2015 01:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
Jensenman

Been a lot happening, but the car hasn't been ignored. It's now Rustoleum Sunrise Red. It's a '50/50' paint job: looks great 50 feet away at 50 mph.

I took it to a NASA track day at Roebling Road recently, the car ran great except for my mechanic flooding the engine and my driver spinning off into the kitty litter (actually sand) at Turn 4. I'd fire those two idiots but they work so cheap... next up is the Dragon Hillclimb in September, then another NASA track day at VIR in October. I'm planning to get the car classed for NASA TT after that. Should be interesting.

Posted: 05-14-2015 11:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
jcdean

Think we are needing some more race footage. I really enjoy watching a car running fast.

Current time is 05:29 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > J-H hillclimb and AX project Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems