Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Oil cooler w/ electric fan  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-06-2009 09:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Circmand

In order to keep my engine cooler I want to add and electric fan. But oil cooler is in the way. I was told by Jim that others have moved the OC by taking it off the brackets and mounting it on a slant thereby leaving room for the electric fan. Anyone know what kind of fittings are necesary to do this?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-06-2009 10:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Finch

The PO of 18309 mounted it where the oil cooler was originally located to accommodate the cooling fan. No special fittings. It just sits lower, forward and a bit towards the passenger side from its original location. Just drill some holes and bolt into place.

Best of luck. John

Last edited on 03-06-2009 10:11 pm by John Finch

Posted: 03-07-2009 03:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Pancake electric fans go right on the rad. and you dot have to touch the cooler, another option.

Posted: 03-07-2009 03:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Thoughts on cooling:

The engine must be in proper mechanical condition with good bearings, valves and carbs.

The radiator should be upgraded to 3 or 4 core or custom aluminum.

A fan shroud should be installed if using the stock fan. Electric fans may make you feel better but the shroud should work just fine.

Use a mixture of distilled water, Red Line Water Wetter and 15% antifreeze. This is the cheapest solution (ha ha) to overheating. Change yearly.

That's all there is to it. Mine doesn't overheat in heavy traffic on a 104 degree day. If you catch me driving the JH on a 104^ day ever again, take my keys away.

Kurt

Posted: 10-08-2009 10:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Circmand

just to update I have done the 3 core, radiator shroud, and the electric fan. Was still running hot right at the red line. BTW 104 degrees is considered cooled off here in the desert. So far I have seen it at 133 degrees but no more than 122 degreees while driving the JH. Turns out my gas gauge was running high as well and I am told a voltage stabilizer is the culprit. Turns out I was not running hot. too much voltage was getting to my gauges making them read high. So if you have done the basics and are still running hot check your other gauges. If they are high it may be a voltage stabilizer. I am waiting on the part to see if it fixes the problem theyare on back order at Delta.

Current time is 04:41 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Oil cooler w/ electric fan Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems