Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Leaking gas tank HELP!

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Leaking gas tank HELP!  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-07-2005 02:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
RC Smith

15517 is back, new front and rear brakes, tuned up etc.

I after inspecting the gas tank I added about 4 gallons to the tank. This morning its leaking. I have a parts car with a good tank. Can anybody help me with removing the gas tank so that I can make the switch?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-07-2005 05:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Removal Notes.

First, make sure that both tanks have the same number of fittings on the topside dome to the right of the fuel inlet hose.

In a well ventilated area that is completely free from any open flames or other ignition sources, drain the fuel out of the tank.  It's acceptable to use the car's own fuel pump for this but bear in mind that debris may block the pump or fuel lines.  Alternately, on the bottom of the tank is a turret that protrudes down through the floor of the trunk.  From underneath the car, unscrew the turret's plug, and use a large funnel to catch the fuel as it gushes out.  (If the fuel does not gush out, the turret is blocked with rust or other debris.)

Store the removed fuel safely in an approved container.  If you're adding the fuel to the tank of another vehicle, particularly a modern one using fuel injection, I very strongly advise filtering out any rust or other debris during the transfer.

Disconnect the various small hoses on the top of the tank, noting where each one goes.  The drawings in the shop manual and parts book are particularly unhelpful here.  It may be easiest to use lengths of masking tape with the appropriate text written thereon, or you may wish to make a sketch.

Loosen the hose clamps that secure the fuel inlet hose to the fuel cap and fuel tank.  Pull the fuel cap upwards to remove.  Prise the big rubber grommet from the bodywork, taking care not to damage the paint (when possible, this is best done from inside the trunk, rather than from the outer surface of the car).  Remove the fuel inlet hose.

Disconnect the wiring and fuel hose from the fuel sender/outlet assembly on the left side of the tank.  While it is possible to replace the sender assembly with the tank in the car, it's easier once the tank has been dismounted. 

Remove the four 1/4" bolts securing the fuel tank securing straps to the car.  Remove the straps.  The fuel tank may now be lifted free of the car.

Installation Notes.

If the new tank has a known-good fuel sender/outlet assembly, you can use it.  Otherwise, you will want to transfer the assembly from the old tank to the new one.  To do this, tap the assembly's securing ring COUNTER-clockwise until it can be removed from the tank.  Prise the assembly and its gasket loose, then rotate and twist the assembly as necessary while pulling it free and away from the tank.  When installing the unit in the new tank, place a thin coat of fuel-resistant gasket sealer on either side of the rubber gasket.  If there is later any fuel leakage or seepage whatsoever at this point, a new gasket is indicated.

Before installing the good tank, I strongly advise removing the water-absorbing, rust-promoting felt that the factory placed between the tank and the floor of the trunk.  In my car, I glued many inch-wide strips of ribbed rubber stair tread to the bottom of the tank, giving considerable air space between tank and trunk floor.  I also lined the areas of the tank that bear against the securing straps with additional lengths of the same material to permit a good firm mounting for the tank without distorting it.  The tank ended up about 1/8" lower than its initial location, which made the fuel inlet parts a bit easier to replace.

Do not install the fuel tank securing straps until the fuel inlet hose, grommet, and fuel inlet cap are installed and secured.

It's probably a good idea to put a fuel filter between the tank's fuel outlet and the inlet of the fuel pump.

Last edited on 05-07-2005 05:56 pm by Mark Rosenbaum

Posted: 05-07-2005 08:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

A couple more notes on removal, as I just did this recently...

Disconnect the battery first !

After draining the tank, leave the drain plug off. This provides more clearance when removing the tank. The upper two bolts for the tank straps are located inside the car. You will need to remove the rear upolstory to access the bolts.

When removing the tank, pull the right side of tank out first. The fit is really tight and the small metal gas line on top gets caught in the Trunk springs. Once you get the right side of tank out about 40 degrees, you should be able to slide the tank out the rest of the way. There will probably be a few choice words spoken during the process, but it does come out eventually. Good luck, Gary 

Posted: 05-08-2005 12:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
RC Smith

Mark and Gary, thanks for the advice. I only had a few minutes today to search for the drain plug and I could not locate it. Is the drain plug on the passenger side?

Gary, how long did this task take you?

Again, much thanks to you both

Posted: 05-08-2005 12:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Mitch Ware

Drain plug is on the driver side. You have to get it from under the car. If you see where the threaded rod the raises and lowers the spare tire is, just move a couple of feet straight towards the front of the car and you should see it near the left front spare tire mounting bracket.

Mitch Ware

1974 Jensen Healey JH5 #111119670
1971 Triumph TR6 #CC66950LO

Posted: 05-09-2005 06:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

It took me about two hours, but I ran into a problem or two. The tank strap bolts on the trunk floor were rusted in place. And I did this with no prior knowledge, that is I did not post a message first asking advice. Now that you know the basics it may only take you an hour. As Mitch indicates, the drain plug is directly below the left (drivers) side of the tank. From underneath you will see a hole about 1.5 inch in diameter in the trunk floor. The plug is 13/16 inch. Don't loose the metal seal. Mine stuck to the tank and fell off while removing the tank.

Current time is 12:33 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Leaking gas tank HELP! Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems