Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Lower control arm bolt stuck in bushing

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Lower control arm bolt stuck in bushing  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-06-2009 08:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
subwoofer

One last bolt, the inner lower arm retainer bolt, is keeping me from removing the last piece of the suspension from the car, crossmember still bolted in.

The bolt is stuck in the crush tube, and the crush tube rotates (slightly) in the bushing if I apply enough torque on the bolt. Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeves for freeing that bolt?

I have already attempted to drive it out with a piece of wood and a heavy hammer, but it is hard to get a good angle at it, so it seems ineffective. It is getting tempting to grind the head off the bolt, cut the threaded end and get it over with, but not having to get a new bolt would be nice too.

Any ideas?

--
Joachim

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-15-2009 09:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
subwoofer

Finally got back out in the garage today, tried the impact wrench. Result: diddely squat.

Time to start building a tool to press it out without damaging the crossmember. *play McGyver theme*

--
Joachim

Posted: 03-16-2009 03:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensenman

The crossmember will be a lot harder to replace than the bolt. ;-) I wouldn't grind the bolt, too easy to get overzealous and grind into the crossmember. I recommend  centerpunching the head of the bolt and drilling it with successively larger bits, that way there's less chance of damaging the crossmember. Cut the threaded part off to within 1/4" (6mm) and do the same there.

Posted: 03-16-2009 04:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Cut the bolt with a sawsall. How hard is it to get a bolt???

Posted: 03-20-2009 11:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
subwoofer

Jensen Healey wrote:
How hard is it to get a bolt???

Don't know, haven't tried yet... :-)
I ended up going the saw route, since I encountered some lateral stability issues with my homemade press rig. Still worth the attempt, used some scrap steel, a few bits and pieces I had lying around, and about 5 minutes welding. Just had to build something in order to feel some achievement.

--
Joachim

Current time is 09:44 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Lower control arm bolt stuck in bushing Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems