Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Supra conversions  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-05-2009 05:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jdenglish

I have a Conversion Components NZ bell housing & Supra tranny that's ready to bolt up.  However I am concerned about bell housing alingnment.  Not much room for error.  Would appreciate hearing from those have already made this conversion.
Thanks,
John
JH5 20185

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-05-2009 08:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jim Ketcham

John,

I found alignment using the Conversion Components bell housing to be fine.  I modified an old rear mounting bracket instead of using Conversion Components and found that a better fit.  I also extended the shifter linkage and housing about another 15 mm more than the recommended housing for a better fit.  I will try to attach a diagram of my measurements with the Supra vs the JH 4 speed.  I also found an 80s Toyota Corolla speedo cable worked perfectly.  Speedo is off ~2 mph at 50 mph.

Jim

Attachment: JH transmission.jpg (Downloaded 194 times)

Last edited on 01-21-2018 11:09 pm by Jim Ketcham

Posted: 03-05-2009 08:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jim Ketcham

John,

This is a schematic of the driveshaft that I had made to mate the Supra with the 4 speed axle.

Jim

Attachment: JH-Toyota W58 Drive Shaft 3.jpg (Downloaded 189 times)

Posted: 03-06-2009 05:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jdenglish

Jim,
Thanks for your insight.
Colin supplied everything including the aluminum flywheel, clutch and tranny so I hope all the dimensions will work.  I'm not clear on how you would extend the nose piec 17mm and the the other (splined?) element of the shaft 21mm How many miles do you have on the conversion?
John

Posted: 03-06-2009 08:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jim Ketcham

John,

Colin's kit has a piece that extends the input shaft and fits in the JH pilot bearing.  In addition his kit includes a sleeve that extends the tube on the front cover so that the throw-out bearing can travel the extra distance needed with the JH.  

The only part that is not a good fit is the shifter extension and housing.  The longest one available for the Supra (it is the one that Colin recommends) is still short by about 15mm so that the shifter is not quite perfectly placed in the existing opening.  I took a slightly shorter housing (commonly available) and sliced it and added a 25 mm section in to get me where I wanted to be on my JH.  If I have time I will take a photo of the spare that I made and the jig used to make sure the housing and shifter linkage are lined up correctly when welded.

I have used it for 1 summer.  It shifts quite well, and feels much tighter than my original 4 speed.

Jim

Posted: 04-30-2009 04:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Dakota123

Regarding the shifter location, the difference between the "ideal" 540mm shifter (modified) and the more commonly available 515mm shifter is 1", which on the face of it doesn't seem like it should be a problem.  Is this more of a purity issue, or are the throws that much longer with the W58?  Can it be solved with a short-throw shifter like at http://www.suprasport.com/Quick-Short-Sport-Shifter-V3_p_74-176.html# ?  My W58 came without a shifter, so I'm going to have to procure one anyway...

Thanks,

Mike

Posted: 04-30-2009 09:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jensenman

It's possible. That short shift kit moves the pivot up from the stock position and should cut the 'throws' considerably. Only way to find out for sure is to park it on there and try it. :-D

The reason I went the way I did was to keep the shifter pivot centered in the original shift boot hole in the console (not to be confused with the floorpan opening). With the '515 mm' shift housing the shifter pivot would be about 1 3/4" forward of that opening. This would result in having to bend the shift stick at a weird angle for it to come out of the shifter opening and this could lead to the shifter hitting the edges of the console opening. I went through that several years ago on a Triumph Spitfire with a Datsun A15 motor and 5 speed which required the same kind of bend I am speaking of: the stick came straight up from the pivot roughly 1", bent to the rear at a sharp angle for about 1 3/4", then went straight up about 3" then had a 30 degree or so bend rearwards for another 3" or so to put the shifter in the drivers' hand. During shifter movement, the shifter stick moved up/down as well as front/rear and this led to having a rather sizeable hole for clearance. It wasn't a big deal in the Spitfire since it had no console but I didn't want to slice up the console in my J-H.

Not bending the shifter when using the 515mm housing would put the shifter far enough forward that it would hit the radio console. Again, this could be fixed by bending the shifter but we are back to that whole weird shift throw problem again.

I searched high and low for a 540mm housing with no luck. The Supra forum guys all say it's a rare beast, only on a couple of years. If you do find one, make sure you get the 'link' for it as well.

Posted: 06-28-2020 01:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Dakota123

Ancient thread, can’t believe it’s been more than a decade since I started on my engine rebuild and W58 conversion... stupid life...

Anyway, what I ended up doing was re-drilling the engine mounts so the engine/trans sits about 1/2” back. With the 530mm shift housing that came with my W58 (yes, I got lucky!), the shifter is pretty much perfectly centered now.

I’m using the short-throw shifter found on e-bay. It’s taller than I think is appropriate, so will cut it down some.

Attachment: CE0BA87E-26B0-419E-9743-58CA21DE71D9.jpeg (Downloaded 75 times)

Last edited on 06-28-2020 02:07 pm by Dakota123

Current time is 11:55 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Supra conversions Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems