Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
air box?  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-02-2009 12:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jfhuntsman

I have an embarassing number of JHs.  Two have dell'Ortos with K&N cleaners, most of the rest have Stroms with Wieand/Ramflo cleaners.    But one (bought as a parts car but perhaps salvagable) has a long oval air box in place of the normal cleaners.  It's about 16" long, 5" wide, 4" deep, with a round 3" hole on the upper side.  Based on my SAAB experience, I'm guessing that this is some kind of preheater for running the car in frigid conditions (e.g., my home state of Maine), with some kind of filter inside.  But other than that, I'm lost.  I would probably put Ramflos back on it if and when this one gets fixed but my curiousity is piqued.  Any notions? 

Addendum:  moments ago this thing just popped up on eBay from British Masters (item 140303876105), so obviously this is a stock item for some cars, although I have not been able to find it in my docs. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-02-2009 01:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jim Ketcham

Actually, the air box was standard on all J-Hs, Dellorto and Stromberg.  The air cleaner (looks like a muffler) attaches to the air box via a ~3in hose.  There are photos in the JHP Photo Gallery one of which can be seen here:(http://jhppg.com/gallery/album40/uEng_with_Dellorto

You can also see drawings in the parts manual and service manual.

The air box serves several important functions.  One thing it does nicely is allow vented crankcase oil vapors to condense and run back into the crankcase while providing a means for the "light boiling point vapors" to be fed to the carbs.

Posted: 03-02-2009 02:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jfhuntsman

Thanks for the info (and the picture of your glorious engine bay!).  I have now found  picture of the airbox which I had overlooked (shop manual, p. 54, not as expected in the carb section) but I'm none the wiser about the filter.  The one in your picture is muffler-like in configuration.  But I've seen no source for any replacement (and is there replacable material inside?).  Delta shows two types of K&Ns (I have the oval ones) but not the Weiand/Ramflos.  I may have one of the original muffler-like ones in the pile of stray parts, however, but my shop is 20 miles away and I'm not there so I can't look just now. 

Is the top end of the stock filter open (as show on p. 54)?  Is the ecologically-sounder recycling you mention worth the apparent hassle of finding used airboxes (since neither Delta nor anyone else I've looked at seems to carry replacements)?  Perhaps tellingly, I have two sets of d'Os and six sets (counting spares) of Stroms with Weiand/Ramfloo filters, but only one airbox, which suggests that the several PO's thought the airbox undesirable.  I could make a mold and cast a fiberglass replacement if it's worth it, I suppose, and maybe having done that others in JHPS might want copies, but that is not an hour's work, of course. 

Posted: 03-02-2009 03:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jim Ketcham

The original air filter was a typical flexible cylindrical paper element.  Delta sells a K&N that can be made to fit and is reusable.

Air boxes for the Stromberg set up should be quite easy to find.  I am sure I have one kicking around somewhere.  Air box for the Dellorto is very difficult to find.  I got both of mine from Richard Appleyard in the UK, but I do not think he stocks them anymore.  The air filter assembly is common to both and I quite often see them on ebay.

The stock air filter/air box system is significantly quieter, especially with the Dells, than the aftermarket K&N etc system.  That muffler looking air cleaner is really a muffler.

The oil vapor recovery via the airbox is more than an environmental benefit.  I have observed that many owners tap the oil vapor recovery line directly into one of the after market air cleaners.  This is really not good as it does not allow for the oil condensate to return to the crankcase, but rather get sucked into the carb (gumming it up) and quite typically drip out the filter.  The proper approach would be to fit a condensing canister like the earlier JHs. I notice many owners now doing this.

Jim

Posted: 03-03-2009 01:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

The Ramflo filters Delta did sell and may still, but basically they are just a piece of 1/2" thick foam rubber, that the plastic cup frame holds in shape, pressing it against the metal honeycomb cover. Pretty basic and probably not the best design to keep alot of fine dust particles out. The factory filter probably does the best job but at the expense of better breathing, K&N's or there equivilents would give the best of both worlds.

I have the equivilents to K&N's on my Dells, cant remember their name brand just now but I liked the ribbed aluminum cover, it's similar to the cam covers.

Brett

Posted: 03-03-2009 03:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Delta sells the K&N filter for the "muffler". The JH can get really loud from both the intake and the exhaust.

Posted: 03-03-2009 03:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
jfhuntsman

So is that what Delta calls the "K&N service kit"? 

Posted: 03-04-2009 02:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

No, the service kit is the cleaner and oil for the K&N's.

Posted: 03-04-2009 03:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
jfhuntsman

Well then, Delta no longer seems to carry the original filter stuff (and in my defense, I had already been through their catalog before pursuing this).  Under the K&N filters tab they have the two filter units for the Stroms (round elements about 5" more or less) and the oval ones (the same on my two dell'Orto setups), plus the kit mentioned earlier.  The diagream under the tab with the air box ends with the box itself, and does not show the hose and "muffler" filter.  I will go to my shop tomorrow and see if I can find the original stuff.   At least then I might  have some better idea of how to proceed. 

Current time is 10:28 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > air box? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems