Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Why did they paint it??  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-24-2009 02:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
smcmanus

My JH roadster was originally a cool shade of blue.  It is now a boring shade of red.  I have seen several other JH's original really neat colors repainted to something not so interesting.

So why do you think this happened?

This won't stop me from re-shooting mine with leftover Fordson red.

Have a nice day

Steve

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-24-2009 03:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
subwoofer

Probably for the same reason mine is painted red (have no idea why, though...)

18711 will need a respray not too far into the future, and returning it to Tangerine may be a cool thing to do.

--
Joachim

Posted: 02-25-2009 02:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Tangerine? Not real pretty, too orange.

Brown Mustard? Blecch.

That's why they get repainted. The Dreaded Previous Owner, DPO, painted mine sea foam green over the original Pacific Blue. I get lots of compliments but I wish it was original.

Kurt

Posted: 02-25-2009 04:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
subwoofer

I'll just have to grow myself a mustache and wear boldly patterned shirts and tight trousers to go with the 70's look... :-) I have absolutely not decided what to do.

I used to think that the normal cars of the 70's were painted in ugly colours, but now they have grown on me. Like the brown metallic colour Ford (Europe) used, that is really cool. You see it all the time in the TV show "Life on Mars".

--
Joachim

Posted: 02-25-2009 10:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
smcmanus

I was thinking the reason so many were re-painted was theft.  I really like the blue color my roadster was originally painted.  I don't know if I'll go back to that or leave it red. 

Have a nice day

Steve

Posted: 02-25-2009 12:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
colinw59

I think what happens is that a lot of people dream of owning a little red sports car. If they buy a sports car that needs a paint job, they think why not paint it red. The most common color change for english sports cars is red then BRG. I wouldn't own a bright red car, to me it's cliched. I prefer more unusual colors. I'm currently working on a 74 MGB Roadster that was originaly Bracken, a dull uninspiring orange. I'm repainting it Iris blue, a color I've always admired on older MGBs. This was available though as a 'Special Order' in 74.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851?page=1

Last edited on 02-25-2009 01:00 pm by colinw59

Posted: 02-25-2009 08:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
jcdean

PO of mine said he took his in for a respray of the Malaga Blue.  He went to pick it up and it was black!  The person that did the invoice simply put "B" in the color desired block. Tthey gave him such a great deal (I bet they did) that he just kept it that color.

Posted: 02-26-2009 11:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
smcmanus

Colin

Very nice work!  It is a thing of beauty.

Have a nice day

Steve

Posted: 02-26-2009 02:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

My JH is a blue metalic (not sure the name) but it is original and came on the later JH's and GT's, I really like it because I think it shows the cars lines of nicely and there arnt to many in this color. Delta uses a picture of it on the web site.

My second JH that I'm in the mist of restoring happens to be Tangerine Orange, when I first saw it I was positive that I would respray it something else, but towing it home I stopped at a Micky D's for lunch, nice sunny day, and walking back to the car after it just seemed to glow and stand out from all the lumps of metal around it. When I got it home (she who must be obeyed) said she liked the color in a retro way, so that clinched it.

Ive changed colors on other cars in my time, and unless you do it right, it's hard to pull off, open the door and the jams are yellow but the cars red..... stuff like that.

Brett  

Posted: 02-26-2009 03:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
jgreen

Hi Brett,

Yes, "standard issue wifes" always must be obeyed ..... in my house, if the wife isn't happy, I am not happy, so I do as I am told.... or she brings out the whips and chains ;) ;).  My JH I repainted,  as the original color was white and RUST. So after the rust was taken care of, it was a pretty easy decision to go with a color which was a little unique. I ended up with Metallic, BRG. and am pretty happy with it.

My other JH is a GT and came with a color called "Saturn Gold" YECK, It was  oxidized and I couldn't stand it. My good friend Jeff suggested I keep the color the same and see what the color looked like originally with some paint chips. After a little research and some help from Delta Motorsports( who supplied the original color codes), I was much happier with the paint and think it will look great as it has a slight metallic look to it in it's original state.

John

Posted: 02-27-2009 03:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
roblanford

I had 2 MGBs that were painted a blue that was really close to Malaga blue. I did not like it when i bought the first car, but grew to tolerate it. The second car was in better shape and I began to like it more. Now I have a JH that is Malaga blue and I can't even think of changing colors. I really like it a lot. I guess it's like the blue MGs only better.

Posted: 02-27-2009 12:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Mitch Ware

My JH was mustard, I suppose if I was going to wear polyester bell bottoms, put shag carpeting in my house and have the Mike Brady 'fro going on it would have all looked like it came from the same era. But I wanted a color that didn't scream 1974, so I went BRG.

My wife's TR6 was originally Sienna Brown, a hideous color that looked like the terminator had a stomach virus. I didn't have to worry, as the DPO had given it a really, really bad Pimento Red paint job (even painted it with the hard top on). She wanted it white, so Chevrolet Olympic White she got.

Mitch - #19670

Posted: 02-27-2009 01:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Jensenman

The first J-H I saw close up and drove was mustard. I have never liked the color but to me the car trumped the color so I would gladly have bought it if I could have afforded it at the time.

19015 is white, the original color had a 'cream' undertone (typical of british sports cars of the time) which I didn't really care for. Since I was repainting anyway, I decided to lighten it up a bit. I went with a Ford Mustang white, color code ZR. It has a small blue component to it and really brightened the car up.

Red looks really nice on these cars but I had had 3 red cars in a row, it was time for something different. The other color choice (which nearly won) was silver metallic. That would have been a basecoat/clearcoat which I am not good with and is also very hard to fix properly without repainting a whole panel.

Posted: 02-27-2009 01:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

No fair Mitch, you have a body shop so you know how to do a proper color change job, I have'nt seen the TR but if it's anything like what you did to the JH, it must be stunning.

Brett

Current time is 06:26 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Why did they paint it?? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems