Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Distributer oil leaks  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-23-2009 10:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jdenglish

Just received my engine back from Huffaker after the dyno run in and wouldn't you know it it stated leaking right on the engine stand!  It appears to be comming from the distributer; maybe right down the center as it drips out the bottom of the cap.  Jim at Huffaker did not have a solution and indicated that this problem has never been solved.  It is a rebuilt JHPS distributer. Any suggestions short of a crank triggered setup?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-24-2009 12:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Finch

Arvin,

The guy you want to contact is Jeff Schlemmer at Advanced Distributors jeff@advanceddistributors.com in Shakopee, MN 612-804-5543.  Jeff rebuilt my 45DM and has done work for several other club members.

Judson

Above is a copy and paste from Judson awhile back. If replacing the Distributor shaft O ring doesn't do the trick for you call Jeff at the number above and will likely have options to discuss. I had him rebuild mine and am very pleased. Price was about $100.00 IIRC and he completed it in about 2 days. Mine was leaking as well and the new O ring solved the problem.

Posted: 02-24-2009 01:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensenman

Not aware of any fix other than to disassemble the dizzy and replace any seals you find. If you have a local machine shop with someone who knows his stuff, he might be able to machine a shallow 'screw thread' on the dizzy shaft. That way when the engine is running the screw thread 'screws' the oil back into the engine. Old VWs and Triumphs used that instead of a rear main oil seal.

Posted: 02-24-2009 03:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Judson Manning

How about posting that dyno run so we can compare the shape of the torque curve to John Cronin's recent dyno run???

I solved my leakage problem by upgrading to a new Lucas 45DM distributor.  Jeff was nice enough to re-curve it to match my engine specs.

Posted: 02-24-2009 03:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
jdenglish

I have the results in a pdf, but am not certain how to make an attachment.

Current time is 04:34 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Distributer oil leaks Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems