Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Gas tank time  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-23-2009 12:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
smcmanus

I've watched the tank debacle with interest.  I need a new gas tank for my roadster.  I can get a Jorge tank for $319 w/ free shipping but if it isn't guaranteed, what is the point?  I can get a quality racing fuel cell for a reasonable price.  But I want  to keep the original fuel filler location.   None of the fuel cells I see have a fill point that will line up right.  Anyone got a good idea? 

Thanks

Steve

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-23-2009 12:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensenman

It can be pricey, but Fuel Safe makes custom cells with bolt in fill plates and those can be replaced with a remote fill neck. Like this:

They will make pretty much anything you want but they are not cheap.

If there's someone in your area who can weld aluminum, maybe they could make you a fill neck for one of the plastic cells. The other things you will run into: fuel level sender installation and sloshing. Most race cells use foam to prevent slosh but that can interfere with a level sender.

You might be better off to have a welding shop repair your original tank. Or if there's a boat shop in your area they may be able to make you a custom tank, here in Charleston there are two or three guys who make custom fit cells for offshore fishing boats.

Last edited on 02-23-2009 12:46 am by Jensenman

Posted: 02-23-2009 09:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
John Finch

Steve, check out tank renu. Search google for info and delaler location. I had the tank done on 18309 in Mpls when it arrived from Phoenix. Tank was in ok shape and did not need replacing. Not sure if they can fix yours but might be worth checking out as an option.

Good Luck John 

Posted: 02-27-2009 01:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
smcmanus

My old tank is well and truly dorked up.  PO had covered it with firbreglass in the hopes of stopping the leaks.  I cut the top open with the thought of blasting it out and then re-welding it and sealing it.  I found out that the PO also dumped epoxy into the tank with hopes of sealing it. 

I'm looking at the RCI 2161 or 2162 fuel cells.  The 2161 is 30"L X 12"H X 9"W.  The 2162 is 30"L X 9"H X 12"W.  These are aluminum tank with sending units.  I think I favor the 2162 because it is shorter and may allow me to run a pipe from the original fuel filler.  I'm not sure whether to put it on the shelf or position it a couple inches back on the trunk floor.  If I put it on the shelf, I'll have to fabricate an extension to the shelf to support the tank.  That may also eat into the space for an extension for the filler neck.

Of course, I could just use the original filler neck to hide my "stash" of cigars and open the trunk to fill the tank.  Or I could continue to use the "Mercury Quicksilver" outboard motor tank.

Have a nice day

Steve

Posted: 02-27-2009 01:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Tank Renu can fix anything, thier work is top quality. I recommend this place if you want a permanent, high quality fix (all they do is repair and fix fuel tanks) http://www.gas-tank.com/

Posted: 02-27-2009 01:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jensenman

Hmmm. I have a tank which I removed from the IT car I got from Ron Earp, it's not original but it's very stout. I'll sell it for $100.00 plus shipping if you are interested.

The pros: it goes in the stock location, uses the stock fill neck, has the vapor separator on the top and is about the same dimensions, within a half inch or so. I see no reason it won't fit behind the stock trunk trim.

The cons: the fuel sender plate (the removeable part) has been epoxied in place and would probably need to be heated to allow removal. It's also heavy compared to the stock tank, I would guess it's 1/16" steel. It's probably going to be pricey to ship.

PM me and I'll get pics if you think you could use it.

Posted: 03-03-2009 01:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Joel

And I have a Jorge tank that's never been used.  I thought I needed it and didn't it's yours for $275.  I'm in San Diego.

Posted: 03-03-2009 01:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
smcmanus

Jensenman and Joel

Thanks for the offer.  I've decided to go with the RCI 2162 fuel cell which I can get for about $150.  I will post results here.

Have a ice day

Steve

Posted: 03-03-2009 02:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Joel

Very cool.  Definitely want to see pics.

Current time is 01:56 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > Gas tank time Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems