Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Air conditioning

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
chrisl

Dear all

It's summer in the southern half of the world and hot hot hot in this little part.

My Mk1 copes very well, no overheating (at least not shown on the Lucas guages!)but I can't say the same for the driver (me). The black vinyl interior also means I tend not to go anywhere when it gets over 25C. So am thinking about installing air con.

Has anyone out there undertaken a retro fit?

Any tips for types, what works what doesn't?

JHRV8

I am finishing up an air conditioner installation in my  JH5, using parts from vintage air in Texas.  Installation depends some on your fabrication skills as this is not a kit but rather mixing of parts.  There also was a kit made for installation  from the UK and a setup for the GT, which had factory A/C.  Any will work, you just need to locate the parts.  Write for catalog from Vintage-air, air-tique, or other of the makers of Hot Rod aftermarket air here in the USA, or probably in Aust. as well.  For the factory parts look to the second-hand market, the auto jumbles, and the hot-rod shops in your country. Also the entire dash needs to be removed to install this stuff, good luck with your search......JHRV8.

JHRV8

Last edited on 02-12-2009 12:11 am by JHRV8

dwalls1

Hello Down Under!

Most of the dealer installed A/C was removed from mine when I got it last year. I removed what was left which was the box up under the dash ahead of the glove box and the bracket that mounted the compressor. I cut the extra sheave off the crank pulley so that I could install a fan shroud. Any way, my thought is that there may be others out there that have removed A/C from their J-H rather than fuss with a 30 year old system. So maybe someone can come up with what you need if you can make it work. Good Luck 

Judson Manning

Chris,

Your best bet for a kit is as JHRV8 suggests and going to a modern hot rod source and find something that will fit. 

The first problem will be compressor location which can be rectified by relocating the Passenger side motor mount to the back side of the front cross-member.  These parts originally came as a dealer supplied kit and were later integrated into the factory Jensen GT cross-member.  I have access to three of these cross-members if you need them.

People I know who have done the conversion haven't exacty been happy with the results with exception to having a Defrost capability. 

Under the heading of 'while you are at it', retrofitting a GT dash complete with a/c controls into your JH would look great.  I also have access to a couple of GT dashes if you are interested.

Judson

chrisl

Dear all

Many thanks for the responses - much appreciated.

I will make some calls to a couple of places 'round here that supply parts etc to the hot rod market - a good suggestion as I usually get the 'what's that...?' when I mention the car is a 1973 JH but they should be used to all sorts of weird and wonderful requests.

Someone was also kind enough to send me an email re suggested parts, but my PC crashed as I was downloading the message so I lost it and everything else I was working on. (Bah, it was 40C that afternoon so maybe it overheated too). Have now got it fixed but I didn't get the name as it went dead too quick, but if you could re-send that would be great.

Thanks again and all the best

CL

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems