Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Rear spring height question  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-10-2009 09:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Art DeKneef

While putting the rear end together I happened to notice that the sets of rear springs I had were different heights. By about 1.5 in.

The set from 74 JH 17500 is approximately 10.75 in. tall. While the set from 74 JH 19658 is approximately 9.25 in. tall. I haven't measured them yet but I plan on doing that if I can find someone that has that capability.

Has anyone else ever noticed something like this or have any thoughts. I have no idea if either previous owner modified the suspension in any way.

Attachment: springs.JPG (Downloaded 106 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-11-2009 12:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
dwalls1

That's a stumper allright. Can't shed much light, though I know that MG and Triumph played around with spring lengths to accomodate bumper hieght requirments imposed by the Feds. The spring lengths on the TR7 varied and I think, got shorter on the later production.

Posted: 02-11-2009 04:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Disco paint job! All I can tell you is the last time I had my rear springs out, they were the same height. I'll look for some spares and measure them.

Posted: 02-11-2009 05:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Art, the left hand one is exactly like the stock one I took off my car, JH5 20497, same number of coils, I replaced them with the Delta Comp. ones, the Delta ones still have the same number of coils but are about 1/2" shorter and have a slightly larger dia. As for the right hand coil you have, ???. what did the height of the car look like that had them on.

I can e-mail a pict. of both if want to see.

Brett 

Posted: 02-11-2009 06:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Art DeKneef

The picture represents the difference between the two sets. I have two sets of springs. One set is an inch-and-and-half shorter and that set was on the later car. I only noticed the difference after I put them all together so I could paint them. Thought the paint fumes were getting to me.

Both sets of coils have the same number of turns and a quick measurement of the diameter shows both sets to be 1/2". I never noticed that the ride height of either car was off. But I never had both cars next to each other either. From what I can remember is that both cars looked level when on a flat surface.

Now I'm wondering if there is any difference between the height of the front springs. I have #17500 springs out but the other set is installed in the other front end. Sometime over the next couple of days I'll remove one of the other front springs and see what height it is.

I'm also curious if there is any big difference in the spring rate between the two rear sets.

Posted: 02-12-2009 09:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jensenman

If they have the same number of coils and the same wire diameter then they should be the same rate regardless of the height. If they have the same wire diameter but one has fewer coils, the ones with fewer coils will be stiffer.

If one pair has taken a 'set' that could explain it. Or maybe in the past someone heated and compressed them to lower the car.

Posted: 02-23-2009 05:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Art DeKneef

Just to follow up with this thread.

I found a place that tested the springs. They did a 1 inch drop and both springs were measured at 150 pounds.

I removed a front spring from the later 74 JH and it was the same height and size as the front springs from the earlier 74. When they did the same test on the front spring from the early 74 it measured 250 pounds. The later 74 front spring spring wasn't tested as I forgot to put it in the car before I left.

The taller spring will be installed and after everything is assembled again I can check the ride height and see what it looks like.

Current time is 08:28 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Rear spring height question Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems