Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
TONS of white smoke  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-04-2009 11:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
roblanford

I got 20105 (with strombergs) started and it belched out so much white smoke that it looked like a cropduster. What was weird is I shut the thing off after a minute and then restarted it 20 minutes later and no smoke. Today I put the thing on a trailer and the same thing; 1st start tons of smoke then and hour later when I started it to back off the trailer no smoke, sounded good so I took a victory lap around the building to knock the rust off the brakes before parking it (lotsa fun).  It has been sitting for 20 years and was started up once about 5 years ago. When I first hooked up the battery to check for leaks the bottom plugss were dumping but after sitting a couple days I guess the fresh gas dissolved the varnish in the float bowls and they quit leaking.

Thanks
Robert

Last edited on 02-16-2009 02:25 pm by roblanford

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-05-2009 04:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
pc

I don't know about the smoke, but watch out for Strombergs that haven't been touched in a while.

Reach up underneath the float bowls and see if you feel and/or smell wet gas.

There are plugs in the bottoms of the bowls.  They're made of plastic with a brass cap and a rubber o-ring.  They aren't screwed in, they're just pushed in and held by the o-rings and little plastic tabs.

Being constantly exposed to fuel and not having any sort of compression seat, they eventually deform and start to leak.  Gas leaking directly over your distributor and starter is a bad thing.

The plugs and o-rings (or at least the o-rings) should be replaced regularly. (Or, the Stroms should be replaced permanently.)

pc.

Posted: 02-05-2009 05:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
subwoofer

White smoke is usually steam, I think. There could be a (slow) coolant leak somewhere, which blows off after the first start.

--
Joachim

Posted: 02-05-2009 05:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
JHRV8

Sounds like possibly a c oolent leak or just condensation from storage in a humid climate.  People just start the stored cars for a few minuites and think this is enough to clear out the cob-webs, when in reality you should start and run the car for 10 to 15 minuites to get up to temperature and cook out all the condensation ; try it.   regards...JHRV8.

Posted: 02-05-2009 06:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jensenman

Fuel smoke is black. Since you describe white smoke carbs are not likely to be the source. 

Oil smoke is bluish white, water is white (steam) but it dissipates quickly, brake fluid is whitish gray has a funny odor and hangs in the air. Brake fluid can get into the intake manifold through a bad master cylinder rear seal, the engine's vacuum sucks it out of the m/c into the booster then to the intake manifold.

I second making real sure the 'Bergs are properly sealed and running the engine for a while. If there is moisture in the exhaust it will turn to steam but quit after a while.

Posted: 02-13-2009 08:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Steve Jarvis

This happened to a Mazda 616 I had back in the 80's and it was a leak from the coolant into the motor. Unbelievable amount of white exhaust down the main street.

Posted: 02-13-2009 11:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
roblanford

Hey Steve, I have started this car up several times since and the smoking has stopped. I am now chasing vacuum leaks to clear up a rough idle. So much has gone bad while sitting for so long.

Posted: 02-15-2009 03:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
smcmanus

If it has been sitting 5 years, I would not be surprised if it smoked for a while.  Probably just burning up all the oil and crud that has accumulated over the years.  Now rebuild your carbs!  If you need help, you can find it right here.

Have a nice day

Steve

Current time is 10:06 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > TONS of white smoke Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems