Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
K&Ns and vapour hose  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-25-2009 02:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
ozzadavies

I've just replaced the original air filter set-up with K&Ns and, wow, what a difference. Not only does the car now sound much more purposeful but the acceleration pick-up is instant and stronger, particularly at low revs. It hardly hesitates at all now whereas before you had to clear 2000 revs to get smooth acceleration. Loving it.

My question is about the crank case vapour hose. Would it be OK to simply put a breathable bag on the end of it to catch the discharge and allow any gas to escape? I was thinking of a muslin bag clamped to the end.

I assume that it's OK to remove the cam cover breather pipe and just keep it open...

Thanks, Ollie

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-25-2009 04:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Ol,  I just ran a flex hose under the car directly off the breather with no issues, my cam cover breather ties into it with a tee. But my car does not breath alot of vapor or condensation out, I have read in previous posts that some cars are very heavey breathers and they tend to coat the underneath, and drip oil. I guess it depends alot on what your car does. There is the option of drilling into the K&N back plate on the rear carb and plumbing into there, thats been done as well.

Brett

Posted: 01-25-2009 04:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Judson Manning

Ollie,

Congrats on the K&N upgrade, I think you'll find access to the distributor, oil filter, wiring harness, etc. will be MUCH easier!

The most common mistake is to pipe the vapors directly to the rear carb.  As the engine ages and starts spitting more oil through the vapor hose, that mess gets pumped directly into the engine and causes all sorts of problems.

The most environmentally sensitive solution is to install a catch-can to separate the oil from the gas vapors and pipe those vapors to the carbs.  The early Mk I engines are actually set-up with just such a system.

Judson

Posted: 01-25-2009 05:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
ozzadavies

I guess you could put my engine in the 'heavy breather' category. It used to gunk up the air box. I'll sort out a catch can, but in the meantime do the gasses pose a fire risk?

Thanks

Posted: 01-25-2009 07:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
John Finch

I used a bicycle water bottle and mount. Routed the breather hoses to hose barbs installed in the bottle. No hose clamps for easy removal. I also installed a generic breather filter on top of the bottle. Looks kinda hokey but works.

Attachment: Breather bottle sm.JPG (Downloaded 83 times)

Last edited on 01-25-2009 08:01 pm by John Finch

Current time is 05:03 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > K&Ns and vapour hose Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems