Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
New member and Project  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-19-2009 02:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
roblanford

Today, I finally bought the Malaga blue JH# 20105 from a friend of mine and now the fun begins. Unsticking brakes, cleaning the fuel system, replacing dried up rubber pieces, and on and on and on. The body and paint are good, as well as the interior and soft top. It came with the factory hard top too. After sitting for a long time, cam belt will have to go too.

Any advice on anything I should look for getting this car back in service will be appreciated.

Thanks
Robert

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-19-2009 03:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Congrats! I'm sure you'll have loads of fun!

Kurt

Posted: 01-19-2009 05:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Sander

First ... where do you live?  One of us might be close enough to do an eyes on evaluation.  Next .... examine the "T" between the carbs .... if it's the stock plastic "T" it needs to be replaced now.  Good to hear you're replacing all the rubber items.  All the safety items, brakes, lights wipers, etc. need to be checked out.  Remember, take a ride in a JH and waste an hour ... own a JH and waste a lifetime ... welcome!

Posted: 01-19-2009 05:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
roblanford

The car is in Dana Point Ca. but I am going to haul it home to Anaheim Ca. The Fuel "T" has been replaced already, but I will change the soft fuel lines just to be safe. The brake booster, and smog pump need to be rebuilt, so I will need to find a source for them. I am going to pull the radiator to have it cleaned and pressure checked.

Where can I find a reference to get the build date? The body # is 20105 the seller said it was one of the last roadsters built.

Thanks,
Robert

Posted: 01-19-2009 06:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
jgreen

Hi

Brake boosters ( NEW) can be found at jhps.com in the boutique section. Smog pumps.... I can't help with that one, I live in Maine and we all don't care about the OZONE or pollution or anything like that. I just ripped my off. It got in the way of more power. I may have it still. If you can take a picture  of what the thing looks like, I 'll do a search and see if i have one... no charge.

John 

Posted: 01-19-2009 09:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
pc

Since you’re in OC, don’t forget to drop in on a club meeting.  They’re on the third Tuesday of each month. (Hmm, that’s tomorrow...)

Click on people & places at the top of the page for details.

pc.

Posted: 01-19-2009 09:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
RossB

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum. If you send the details of your car to Richard Calver (http://www.richardcalver.com) he is trying to maintain a register of all remaining Jensen cars. He is the guru when it comes to Jensen history and should be able to tell you a bit about your car.

His site is well worth a read. He managed to salvage a lot of origianl documentation from the factory before it was sold off.

Good luck,

Ross.

Posted: 01-20-2009 03:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
colinw59

Greetings Robert. I completed a ground up restoration on 15181 three years ago now. So some details are already getting foggy! However I would suggest checking the gas tank for leaks, and the trunk floor below it for FeO2. Check the driver & passengers floors and the battery support panel  for rust, they have a tendancy to rot here. As do the rockers, dog legs, lower f/fenders and the splash guards inside the quarters and fenders.  

Does the Jaeger clock work? What about the seatbelt interlock system, this can be problematical too. The wiring is Lucas, so I would suggest just checking everything that has electrons flowing though it! Replace the cam cover gaskets with the red silicone ones from the club store if 20105 has the OEM type. The glovebox is made from thick cardboard, so that could be toast if it got damp over the last 34 years.

Some parts are now obsolete. However between the club store, Delta Motorsports (AZ), Ebay (USA & UK) and British masters  (CA), I found evrything. Including patience!!  Good luck,  Colin

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851

Posted: 01-20-2009 04:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
roblanford

Thanks all, for the information. I can't wait to get it home and get started.

John, I will get a pic of the smog pump to you after I get it home, thanks.

PC, I will be at the meeting tomorrow night.

Colin, what a beautiful car you have. I have already been admiring your work. I am a mg nut too have had 3 rubber bumper, and 2 chrome bumper Bs in the past.

My car has not been registered since '89 and I need to find out if I just take in a bill of sale and the car was built in '75, will I have to get it smog checked?

Is the body #20105 that is on the tags under the hood and on the dash the entire VIN#?

Robert

Posted: 01-20-2009 06:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
RossB

Hi Robert,

Yes the 20105 is the full VIN. Some people quote the 4 digit number in front of the VIN (for example mine is 1141/16327) but the 1141 part just tells us that the car is RHD and was sold to the Australian market.

If you can find the engine number (looks like B74.04.6827) it can be matched to the chassis number. The code breaks down as:
B = Stromberg Carbies (A = Dellorto carbies)
74 = built in 1974
04 = built in April
6827 = sequential number

Hope this helps.

Ross.

Posted: 01-21-2009 09:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Harkes

congrats Rob,

I happen to have a malaga blue JH as well (15175 known as The Shark).
There was another member on the board who had his JH done with some fresh Malaga Blue (looked great!).

Good luck with your car and do upload pictures.

Erik

Posted: 01-22-2009 03:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
roblanford

Ross, thanks for the engine id info. I got some specific info from Richard Calver who put the mfg. date at 25 April 1975. I would assume that would make it a 1975 model.

Erik, fine looking JH you have there, quite the inspiration. My car is just going to get the functional rebuild first and maybe the whole shebang later on.

I found this in the California  govt. FAQs page for smog testing:

"Is my vehicle required to get a Smog Check?
Your vehicle needs a Smog Check if it is more than six model years old and the model year is 1976 or newer."

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/about_smog_ck.html 

Posted: 01-25-2009 03:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
graverobber

You don't need to get it smogged. 1975 and earlier cars are exempt from smog testing with the current regulations.

Posted: 01-29-2009 08:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
mdutch

Welcome to the Dark Side! Congratulations!

Seriously, it's a wonderful journey. I hope you get to drive it at least 1/3 of the time you own it! I'm working on my first 25% myself! LOL.

Current time is 11:40 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > New member and Project Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems