Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Rob Rawe

The J.H. Shop Manual on page 8 notes the oil capacity as 3 U.S. pints; but on page 10, under Capacities for Five Speed Gear Box, they list it as 4.2 U.S. pints.  Can anybody tell me what the correct capacity is?   I am trying to order some Redline MTL online and want to purchase the correct amount.  Thanks for any information you can provide.

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

3.1 pints for the 4 speed,  4.2 pints for the 5 speed.

SpeedyMitch

Rob Rawe wrote: > Redline MTL

Hi Rob,

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I'm considering Redline or Royal Purple for my 4-speed Mk1 transmission.

How is the Redline working for your transmission?

Thanks in advance,

Speedy Mitch

Rob Rawe

Mitch

The last time I did an engine rebuild I decided to get rid of the original 4 spd. that was in it , & had problems with. I found a 5 spd. in the society market place at that time, when I called the seller to talk things over he made the comment that he was using Red Line in it and he thought it had quieted down the gear noise. When I installed  the  transmission I left the Red line in it, & have had no problems. I made the post about the capacity because I thought it might be about time to change it for some new Red line ,& didn't want to buy any more than I needed since it's kind of costly.  I'm not familiar with Royal Purple.

SpeedyMitch

Jensen Healey wrote: 3.1 pints for the 4 speed,  4.2 pints for the 5 speed.
Ok, now I'm really confused on how much fluid to put into my Mk1 4 speed!

The workshop manual says (page B12.25): "...then fill the gearbox with 3.5 Imp. pints (4.2 U.S. pts., 1.99 litres) of an approved lubricant..."

If I just pump fluid in until it reaches the bottom of the fill plug the transmission will take about 5 U.S. pints. Since I had 3 quarts of Royal Purple MTL I used this approach. WRONG - now my clutch releases very slooowwwllllyyy.

So the question is: how much should I now drain from the transmission?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Hi  Mitch, The bottom of the fill plug is the approved method.

How is the clutch affected by the trans oil? Sounds like a different issue. Have you lubricated the clutch cable and checked the return spring?

Kurt

SpeedyMitch

Jensen Healey wrote: How is the clutch affected by the trans oil? Sounds like a different issue. Have you lubricated the clutch cable and checked the return spring?

I'm trying to understand the same question. I don't know how the clutch engagement could be effected, but there was no other change.

I sprayed some penetrating lubricant into the bottom end of the clutch cable while I was under the car. It does not feel like the cable is binding and the spring (while weak) is working and has not changed. I can reach in and push on the clutch lever while the clutch is engaging but cannot make it move any faster.

This weekend I'm going to dump the Royal Purple and refill with 4.2 U.S. Pints of VR1 20W-50 as you originally recommended.

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Maybe the lever got knocked off the fulcrum while you were changing the oil. Shine a light through the hole in the bell housing and see what's going on in there.

The clutch actuation has nothing to do with the oil.

SpeedyMitch

Jensen Healey wrote: > Sounds like a different issue. Have you lubricated the clutch cable and checked the return spring?

Right again Kurt!

The clutch cable was not binding - it was bound up tight. I can't believe it worked at all. I have no idea why this problem would manifest itself just when I changed the transmission oil. I could not move the cable *at all* within the housing by hand. I soaked it in penetrating lubricant and got it moving with some tightness but much better.

I also have some additional information on using Royal Purple MTL in the 4-speed transmission. I called Royal Purple directly and talked to a very knowledgeable 'tech support' engineer. He advised that while Royal Purple MTL is 'OK' in our older transmission they do not recommend it. The MTL product is too light for older transmissions and is likely to leak while not providing any real benefit. He recommended using their synthetic 10W-40 motor oil in this case.

This time I just took Kurt's advice and used Valvoline VR1 20W 50.

On the Road Again!

Last edited on 01-30-2010 11:39 pm by SpeedyMitch

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems