Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > 18711 "Miss Jensen"

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
18711 "Miss Jensen"  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-19-2014 11:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
81st Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Do they also have speed cameras in France? I'll be driving there this summer.
Kurt

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-20-2014 06:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
82nd Post
gmgiltd

Certainly do but we are getting off topic on Joachim's great job

Posted: 06-20-2014 06:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
83rd Post
answerman

Yeah, I feel for you guys.  In Wisconsin we don't even have inspections.  The state never even needs to see the car, you can just go down to the DMV and register it and you're legal.

Posted: 06-26-2014 08:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
84th Post
subwoofer

Finally got a few hours to work on the car - home alone for a few days. Yiiihaw!

Right front as it used to be

Dust shield off, bracket installed

Size difference

Wheel back on for test fit :-)

I just discovered that I didn't take any pictures with the new brakes on and no wheel, will fix that tomorrow. I will have to run new hard lines to the brake distributor since the threads on the HiSpec braided lines and the hard line didn't match. No biggie - I have done that sort of thing before, just have to get the correct fittings.

Also, I had to improvise a slight bit to mount the discs, the mounting flange is thinner than the stock disc, hence the bolts were too long. I play jazz music - improvising is part of the game... :-)
--
Joachim

Posted: 06-28-2014 08:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
85th Post
subwoofer

As promised:

Got the front brakes all buttoned up last night, had a quick road test before bedtime. I AM IMPRESSED! The difference in stopping power was immense right off the bat! I will let the brakes settle a little bit before punishing them hard, but this was really confidence inspiring.

--
Joachim

Posted: 06-28-2014 08:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
86th Post
gmgiltd

Hi Joachim,
Glad about that. On the rears you will need to make up a spacer to replace the original back plate as well as longer studs because of the difference in thickness between the drum and disc face. The original Jensen wheel nuts grip further down the thickness of the wheel than the taper type.
Gordon

Posted: 06-28-2014 11:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
87th Post
subwoofer

Thanks for the tip, Gordon! What length bolts did you get?

--
Joachim

Posted: 06-28-2014 12:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
88th Post
gmgiltd

Hi Joachim,
Got the studs from HiSpec listed on the invoice as 'wheel stud 7/16" +13mm.
You may also need the following which I got from Merlin motorsport SKT-M8-25 Socket cap screws and K-Nut-M8 for the half shaft retainer. You will also need a 3 way brake union as you will not be using the double fitting on the wheel cylinder. I made brackets out of 62mm exhaust clamps to mount the hard pipe/flexi away from the spring base and used a short flexi to the rear calipers - hard piped from the 3 way union.
Gordon

Posted: 06-28-2014 02:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
89th Post
subwoofer

Will have to check package contents, they may be in there... Good thing I just got myself a 20 ton hydraulic press, makes installing stuff like this child's play.

M8 bolts and nuts are plentiful in bags and boxes in my garage. Taking your tip on the exhaust clamps, may go that way as well, but have been seriously considering running hard lines all the way from the T-piece.

--
Joachim

Posted: 06-28-2014 06:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
90th Post
subwoofer

No lug bolts in the kit I received, will have to get some. My local parts pusher has 7/16"x43mm bolts from Grayston in stock, will order tomorrow.

--
Joachim

Last edited on 06-28-2014 06:55 pm by subwoofer

Posted: 06-28-2014 07:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
91st Post
gmgiltd

Just watch out how far the knurled bit sticks out beyond the half shaft flange - you may have to counterbore the discs to get them to sit flush if they protrude.
Gordon

Posted: 09-07-2014 11:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
92nd Post
subwoofer

Swapped starters today. My patience with the old Lucas starter was finally worn through when I, due to a slight brain fart, managed to get myself in a situation where I was stuck in stop-and-go traffic with a car running too rich at idle. So naturally it stalled and the Ghost of Lucas reared its ugly head. Starter jammed, pop the bonnet, wait for things to cool down. Needless to say, this was NOT on a dual carriageway...

So I bought a brand new 1.2HP starter from http://www.britishstarters.com, after the usual squabble with customs (they never seem to be able to spell my name while checking for authorization to process items through customs), I was finally able to pick it up at the local post office.

The old starter before removal

The old and the new

New starter installed

Of course, I was almost able to install the new starter without completely removing the air box, but alas, off it had to come. So the whole operation took 1 hour instead of 30 minutes as originally intended.

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-01-2015 03:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
93rd Post
subwoofer

Time to grab the bull by the horns and get something done again. Been way too busy playing music, driving the offspring around, working on plans for renovating the house, the list of excuses just goes on...

Time for rear brakes!

After a lot of swearing and head scratching, I came up with this contraption for pulling the halfshafts out:

I could then get rid of the old backing plate and put the halfshaft back in:

Then I realized what Gordon (gmgiltd) was on about when talking about when he said he had to make up a 3mm spacer. The bearing retainer plate can't be secured without distorting it without the backing plate. The backing plate is 2.5mm thick but with a paper gasket. I found the front plate from an old amplifier and started cutting:

While I was at it, I found that it was time to open the rear end and change the old. Oh boy, that smelled! The oil was dark brown and thick, so a change was about time:

More to come, now I have a family to feed...

--
Joachim

Last edited on 05-01-2015 03:31 pm by subwoofer

Posted: 05-01-2015 06:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
94th Post
Screenplay

Joachim,
I've been a JHPS member for nearly two years now and have seen your posts from time to time but until today had not seen the entirety of your work going back five years. Great job on the car and the blog; the photos are of great quality and help immensely. Keep up the good work.
Clinton

Posted: 05-01-2015 10:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
95th Post
subwoofer

Thanks for the encouragement, Clinton! You know what they say, pictures or it never happened... And with respect to quality, almost all of them are taken with an iPhone, no fancy equipment.

I'm getting there with the rear end now:

Working only with basic hand tools, drilling out the rough shape of the large hole

Some elbow grease later, the finished article

Caliper mount point in place, halfshaft installed again

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-03-2015 12:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
96th Post
subwoofer

Some more work done.

Adjusted the holes in the brackets by about 2mm

One side mocked up, just have to change the lug bolts before I set things up permanently

Gunk! This is what came out of the diff...

No need to tell who forgot to follow up on the lug bolts? But now they are ordered. The originals are 35mm, the new ones as 43mm, that should add more than enough turns for each nut. With the current bolts I have 5 turns from contact to tight, with the new ones I should have about 12.

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-04-2015 10:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
97th Post
subwoofer

Ran out of things to do on the brakes before I have the halfshafts back in permanently, so next in line was to get the seats out for some cleaning and treasure hunting underneath. I never did this when I got the car.

The driver side seat had done half the job on its own already, both bolts on the left runner had worked themselves out. Passenger side is a bit more difficult, I think I am able to reach the front two bolts - just, then I will have to employ the slide hammer again to move the seat forward. It is rather stuck, and I am unable to see why.

Nothing exciting found, just a lot of dirt

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-13-2015 05:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
98th Post
subwoofer

Project stalled for a few days while waiting on parts (not that I haven't been busy on other arenas). I want to get the brakes done before moving on, but HiSpec had sent me pads for the wrong calipers - something I didn't catch until trying to fit them Friday night. I have managed to find the correct pads locally, hopefully I'll be able to bleed the brakes tonight.

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-19-2015 06:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
99th Post
subwoofer

Nothing ever comes easy...

Turns out the hub on the Revolution wheels is larger in diameter than the hub of the discs, so some clearancing was in order. The wheels are turning smoothly now.

Getting the right pads weren't easy either, turns out the pads listed for the Ultralite calipers are too deep for this application, so I had to read through a lot of pages of brake pad catalogue to find something that fit.

Now I just have to get the handbrake up and running, but that will not hinder me from testdriving her tonight. Weather permitting, of course.

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-19-2015 06:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
100th Post
subwoofer

Back from the test drive, successful-ish! Still have some rubbing between caliper and rim on the right rear, but that's just a five minute job to fix. The hub moves about a bit when driving, the bearings are not what they once were, I think.

More annoying is that it seems to load up at warm idle, then suddenly quits. Getting her running again after that is to say the least difficult. I will have to figure out a way to stealth mount a set of injectors in the airbox.

The clutch - or rather the throwout bearing - is on its last knees.

--
Joachim

Current time is 12:31 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > 18711 "Miss Jensen" Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems