Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > 18711 "Miss Jensen"

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
18711 "Miss Jensen"  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-26-2010 09:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
subwoofer

Shameless plug time:

Pete Bahr (username pbahr) makes some good stuff. I just installed his clutch lever boot kit, if it weren't for the oily mess on everything, it would have been a 5 minute job to install. Perfect fit!

Clutch lever boot installed

The ventilator fan was broken, so I ordered one from David Booth. Only shame was that the fan must have been the very first item installed into the empty body shell, since I had to tear everything apart to get to it. Upside is that I found quite a few snags hidden under the dash, now all the hoses go to the right places, and I think all the instrument lights should work again.

Teardown to get to heater fan

--
Joachim

Last edited on 04-27-2010 06:07 am by subwoofer

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-02-2010 06:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
subwoofer

Engine back in the car today! Spent close to two hours just getting the exhaust manifold back on and all the nuts tightened. Could the designer of said manifold please stand up? <loads shotgun>

Used a slightly modified VW clutch alignment tool (~5$, had one in my toolbox) to align the clutch. Pilot bearing size seemed the same, so I just rolled electrical tape around the spline section until it was a snug fit in the JH clutch splines. Got it true on the first attempt, no sweat.

"Modified" VW clutch alignment tool

Anyway, I couldn't resist having a go at the weld ridges inside the manifold before bolting things together. I only ground the welds down to the pipe surface, yet the area increase was rather dramatic. If it really matters for performance? I have no idea. It felt good doing it.

Before and after shots

I think the Eclat sump may just have cleared the crossmember in unmodified state, but after modifying it, there were no problems at all.

Sump to crossmember clearance

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-07-2010 09:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
subwoofer

She runs!

Had a quick run to check for cooling and (lack of) leaks, so far so good. I'll balance the carbs tomorrow and see if I can get the idle mixture about right. At the moment, she hesitates and jerks a bit off idle, but once on cam: WOW!

Dell'Ortos and Strombergs simply don't compare. Throttle response on cam is incredible!

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-08-2010 07:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
subwoofer

Showstopper!

F&%#, f%&#, f"&%, f¤%#ety f#¤%...

Massive oil leak in somewhere at the rear of the engine. lost around a liter of oil in not so long time. The engine side of the flywheel is wet, the bellhousing is full of oil. The clutch isn't slipping when I drive it in and out of the garage, but that may not mean much.

Did I do something wrong when I changed the rear oil seal, or could there be some other problem? I am wishing I had left that end of the engine alone...

I am figuring that dropping the gearbox will be the faster course of action to inspect and fix this, rather than pulling the engine again, just fitting the exhaust manifold took close to two hours and a lot of sweat. What do people here think?

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-09-2010 01:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
45th Post
pbahr

You can pull the bellhousing off and get to the rear of the engine - problem is that you will have to jury rig a support for the rear of the engine or it will just hang on the front engine mounts.  Just putting a block under the pan won't work, cause you will need to remove the pan to look for the problem.  Don't forget to remove the tailpipe from the header..........

YELODOG

Posted: 05-09-2010 06:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
46th Post
subwoofer

The tailpipe to header connection is really the problem, since separating the two is impossible without an angle grinder.

I guess I'll hook up the engine hoist to prevent it from tipping to the rear, then remove the bellhousing. Problem will be to get to the bolts at the top of the bellhousing, that area is a bit cramped...

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-25-2010 10:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
47th Post
subwoofer

Problem found: Rear oil seal. There is no doubt, thankfully the clutch survived. I have a new one ready to install, this time I will not take off the rear cover to install the seal if I can avoid it.

Tomorrow...

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-29-2010 09:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
48th Post
subwoofer

She runs - again!

Did some heavy lifting today, the gearbox came in in only 3 hours. It was a lot easier getting it out... At least I have eliminated all leaks!

Now for today's pictures. A few of them are a bit oldish, but still valid.

Pete's kits' engine damper, please don't mind messy wiring

Syncing carbs was a breeze with the CarbTune tool

Gearbox cleaned up with Marine Clean and a jet washer, done in 15 minutes

The culprit

Yours truly on a test drive this afternooon

Two of my main expenditures...

Country road in spring, less than 10 miles from home

A few minor tweaks are in order, but we are definitely getting there!

--
Joachim

Posted: 06-06-2010 09:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
49th Post
subwoofer

Ms. Jensen is running fairly well, so time to tackle a few other long standing issues. The hood was stripped off a year ago, so time to get the new one on. I have been a bit reluctant to start this operation, brand new territory for me.

Had to make a bracket for the velcro strips, one was missing

Step one, glue hood to frame rail

Fabric tucked under the rail, starting to look better. A bit dusty, though

--
Joachim

Posted: 06-09-2010 09:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
50th Post
subwoofer

Nicked the sewing machine from my wife last night, it was time to renew the velcro bands that holds the hood in place.

New pieces to the left, old to the right

I hadn't touched a sewing machine in 20 years or so, but it's a bit like riding a bicycle, it comes back really fast.

I also (re)installed the mechanical fan today, running with no fan while waiting to get around to ordering an electric fan turned out to be a bad idea. It would overheat in no time in residential areas, and the misfires that followed were no fun. I'll still get an electric fan, but for now the mechanical one will do.

--
Joachim

Posted: 07-26-2010 07:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
51st Post
Boz

What a fabulous job you're doing!!!

Posted: 03-04-2011 09:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
52nd Post
subwoofer

Short update:

Haven't done much on the car lately, but tonight I finally got around to setting the ignition after installing a Pertronix IgnitorII unit. Only a few drops of oil under the car after 3 months of standing still, not bad at all. Fired right up, and the timing seemed a lot more stable than with points.

Once the roads dry up in a months time it is time to see if the caliper I got from Martin Shirley is better than the one I had. The left caliper kept sticking, I had it apart three times, and it would be fine for three stops, then start sticking again, I really hope the new caliper is better. It was installed and ready the second weekend of November, exactly in time to watch the snow fall...

Next up: Complete rewire of the whole car, getting a new universal loom from England.

BTW: Thanks, Boz. I don't know if it is that great, but at least both I and the car are getting better!

--
Joachim

Posted: 03-16-2011 07:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
53rd Post
subwoofer

Spring is coming closer, and the garage isn't as cold as it has been for the last months - time to get some minor details fixed, but first a little peek at outdoor conditions:

Yup, that is 4" of compact ice in my drive! Picture taken three days ago.

New door seals, both sides

Universal washer bottle installed instead of the knackered old one

Stainless boot trim finally installed

--
Joachim

Posted: 03-30-2011 08:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
54th Post
subwoofer

Not too much happening, except trying to change springs and dampers on the Mondeo...

The new wiring loom should arrive in less than two weeks, until then I'll just fix a few small things here and there. Took her out for a spin today, the roads are finally clear and I had to check if the brake caliper I got from Martin Shirley was better than the old one, and that the Pertronix worked properly.

I am happy to say that she runs better than ever, and finally the brakes are pulling straight! Nice to ride in an open car again, but a bit chilly on my hands since I forgot to bring gloves - it was around 5C/40F so it is finally getting warmer!

Sun setting at 7:20PM while out for a spin

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-01-2011 09:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
55th Post
subwoofer

The Norwegian Sportscars Meet is next weekend, this year I'm sure I'll make it! She runs well, and I'm not going to do anything electrical or mechanical this week. So, to pass time I figured it would be time to tackle the shoddy paint job. I bought a rotary polishing machine last year and didn't have too much luck since I was using Turtle Wax cr*p. Saturday I went and got myself a 3M kit (fine rubbing, polish and sealer) and tonight I went at it, armed with loads of self confidence and instructions from Youtube. I only did the boot lid, that took me a little over an hour.

It didn't look all that bad to begin with, you think?

Roughly same angle after rub, polish and sealer

The big reveal! Look at the difference between the untreated and the polished paint!

This was fun, I'll do the rest of the car over the rest of the week. Today's lesson: paint can be restored, even by inexperienced people like me!

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-01-2011 10:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
56th Post
pbahr

Fantastic ! ! ! !

YELODOG

Posted: 05-02-2011 01:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
57th Post
chiromaster

IMPRESSIVE!

Posted: 05-02-2011 06:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
58th Post
subwoofer

Thanks guys!

I'm just about ready to do today's stint, it is really exciting to see how good it becomes. I've got to watch out before the detailing bug gets me!

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-02-2011 09:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
59th Post
subwoofer

Just finished the bonnet, looking good so far. For those interested in trying for themselves, this instructional video is easy to follow. The only thing he doesn't really mention is that you should have the power cord over your shoulder while working so it doesn't rub on the side of the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMB8BxsUi6E&feature=related

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-09-2011 06:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
60th Post
subwoofer

I actually made it this year! This year, two Jensen-Healeys, a C-V8, an Interceptor convertible, an Interceptor Coupé, three-four Interceptors and an FF made up the Jensen contingency.

On the way hope I found a few tunnels with very little traffic so I could open the taps properly and get a proper soundtrack!

After coming back yesterday, nice and shiny

The day wasn't entirely uneventful though. When I was going to drive the car back into the garage, the starter had packed in. Could be a problem caused by the Prince of Darkness, but I haven't had time to investigate.

--
Joachim

Current time is 06:53 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > 18711 "Miss Jensen" Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems