New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
5-Speed Getrag Value?  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-23-2008 07:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Triplesn8s

Hi All,

Most of my stuff was bought by Jon Kunkel so I have just a few items left, the biggest being a 5-speed trans and driveshaft.  Jon took my spare motor so a 907/Getrag TR7 isn't going to happen.

I have heard all kinds of prices on these things ranging up to $1000.  Can anyone tell me what the 'easy sale' value of a 5 speed is so I can set my reserve on ebay?  Or I may sell it directly as ebay can be such a hassle.

When I got the car it came from the motor had valve issues so I only drove it up and down the side street once before parking the car and pulling the motor.  It worked fine but I never got past 3rd gear.

TIA,

Bill

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-23-2008 07:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensenman

Mine brought ~ $600 on eBay, no bellhousing/shifter etc. The 2002 BMW crowd likes them, but I don't think they like them $1k worth.

If the speedo drive gear is good, it's worth its weight in gold.

Posted: 12-23-2008 07:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Triplesn8s

My speedo gear is good.  It includes the JH bellhousing, clutch fork, throwout bearing, shifter.  Are the Clutch fork and T/O bearing 2002 compatible or should I sell those separately?

If I had the money i would buy a 2002...  Always wanted one.

Thanks for the Reply.

Posted: 12-24-2008 12:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Sylva

I've got a Lotus Sunbeam 5 speed in my car, now coupled to a 910 block, When they go on ebay UK with the bell housing to the 900 Lotus engine I've senn them close at over 2000 pound, which is 3000 US$ today and was 4,000 a few months ago. Don't know if the actually get the money handed over at these sort of bid prices, but in the UK complete boxes appear to average about 700 pounds.

Kelvin

Posted: 12-24-2008 12:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Triplesn8s

Is the Lotus Sunbeam the same Getrag trans?  I can't imagine the value differential would be that great US to UK, shipping isn't that expensive. 

Posted: 12-24-2008 01:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jensenman

AFAIK, the fork and release bearing are not 2002 compatible but I have never tried. The bellhousing definitely isn't. The BMW uses a different drive and driven speedo gear. it's all bolt up stuff, though, and J-H speedo gears have been known to strip if the speedometer seizes. The shifter setup is J-H specific.

I'm not familiar with the Sunbeam box, IIRC there was a Rapier? box with OD that's a bolt in swap for the original J-H 4 speed. Those are really rare on this side of the big pond.

The Toyota Supra box makes a really nice conversion, I did mine earlier this year and have been very pleased. Its only drawback is that with the 3:45-1 Getrag axle it loses some snap off the bottom. I have a 3:73-1 early car axle that should take care of that, that'll be a project for '09.

Posted: 12-24-2008 02:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Triplesn8s

Which bellhousing does the most common Supra conversion use?  I have considered getting an Elite/Eclat so I can take the kids and may just want to hang on to the bellhousing.  How about the fork & TO bearing?

Posted: 12-24-2008 10:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Jensenman

I used the Excel bellhousing, the Elite/Eclat piece uses the Lotus transmission that was cobbled together with various Austin parts and that won't work with the Supra transmission. The Excel bellhousing is still pretty readily available in England. I had to convert my bellhousing to a 'pull' instead of a 'push' clutch mechanism, you definitely need the J-H release fork for that. I modified a J-H fork to use a Toyota release bearing. I have pics etc of my swap while it was in progress, one of these days I'll burn it to a CD and mail it to Greg to see if he wants to put it in the JHPS magazine.

It's possible to adapt a Ford Mustang 5 speed to the original J-H bellhousing but it does take some machine work.

Posted: 12-25-2008 01:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Triplesn8s

Machining I can do.  I think I will advertise the trans without the bellhousing.  I'll note that the bellhousing is available in the auction.  It sounds like the most likely buyers are 2002 owners anyway.

Posted: 12-29-2008 03:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Judson Manning

Completely disassembled my Getrag with Bellhousing and one-piece drive-shaft fetched about $350 on ebay.  It sold to a JH owner wanting to rebuild it.  My local BMW guy who regularly rebuilds these things told me a lot of the bearings, etc. would be special order from Germany and the cost would be astronomical.

I too went the route of getting an Excel bellhousing mated to a W-58 transmission (look elsewhere on the board for that strory), but my car has the 3.73 axle.  A customer of mine has the Conversion Components kit with the W-55 and I've had the pleasure of evaluating both combinations.  In 2.0 trim the W-55 with 3.73 is a good match with a very usable 5th gear (first is a wee bit short for my taste).  Conversely, the taller first and fairly tall 0.78 overdrive on the W-58 almost demands a 2.2 to be street friendly even with the 3.73 RE.

The T-5 conversion is extremely attractive as it has the aftermarket support of the entirity of the Camaro and Mustang community.  The input shaft is available in a .590" configuartion which mates perfectly to the JH pilot bearing.  The only problem is of course the bell-housing and getting the exact ratios you want.

A suitable bell-housing can be made for any tansmission by cutting down the JH 4sp housing and welding on a flat piece of stock.  Lining-up the input-shaft to the crank is the real problem.  I remember reading the acceptable tollerance is something ridiculous like .001" so this project is NOT  for the timid. 

A friend of mine recently bought a mill so I was thinking about investigating how much interest there is out there for custom (i.e. T-5) bell-housings.  Once all the initial set-up work was done it should be fairly easy to crank out a dozen or so.  Any interest out there???

Posted: 12-29-2008 05:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Triplesn8s

Sort of true but making a lot of assumptions.   The bottom line is none of your options are a true close ratio transmission and represent some sort of performance trade off.  T-5's are also power sappers due to the large helix angle on the gears which is where many of the problems with T5's come from, excessive side thrust due to the large gear helix angle.  They don't shift that great either, adequate is the best description.  The best thing that can be said about the T5 is they are cheap. 

I decided to sell the bellhousing too as if I get another JH it must have the 5speed Getrag.  "Thanks for asking, my JH has a Lotus motor and a Ford transmission." ??
The Getrag is a true racing style synchro close ration gearbox that matches up with the motor and rear end for maximum performance.  Anything else is a bastardization and a performance compromise.  Aren't sports cars all about not compromising?

I have heard from multiple sellers of these transmissions they fetch $600+ and my reserve is lower than that. 

Posted: 12-30-2008 03:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Judson Manning

I should clarify and say my Getrag 235/5 was sold as little more than a box of partially usable parts.  In good condition this highly exotic and rare transmission should sell somewhere in the $2,000.00 range.  Newly rebuilt, five grand is not out of the question given the exotic and rare factors.

The 235/5 IMHO is only second to its successor the 262CR found in later grey-market BMW 5-series cars.  One could argue the 262CR (much like late model BMW transmissions) with its 3.7 first gear really isn't a CR transmission even if 5th gear is a 1:1.  BMW adoped the 1:1 final/direct drive because as Bill points out going through the helical gears robs power and fuel economy.

For racing applications the fastest way to get on the track and be competitive is to utilize the 235/5 as Ron Earp did with his ITS car.  The ultimate no-compromise racing box would resemble a Hewland with straight-cut gears, etc., and will probably set you back $10k and six months in engineering time - consider the 235/5 a real bargain!

For a street car one can't just bolt on a 15-20% OD to an otherwise stock, high revving JH engine.  If you want some overdrive, but don't want to spend $5k rebuilding your engine the 235/5 (used with the 3.45 axle) will retain the high-revving charisteristics of the car plus deliver about 8% overdrive.  Again, the 235/5 is a real bargain in terms of total cost.

Judson

Posted: 12-31-2008 12:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Jensenman

I still have my Getrag flywheel, bellhousing, clutch etc if anyone is interested, sorry no driveshaft. I also have the shifter setup but the stick has been cut off, a 4 speed shifter stick should be a bolt up.

Posted: 11-29-2010 11:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
timeforwalkies

Hello JensenMan.
I know it has been a couple of years since this post, but if you still have your flywheel, would you mind getting back to me with the part numbers that are cast in.  I bought one buy am not sure if it is correct since it has the gears ground into the casting on not a ring gear.
Thanks,
TFW

Posted: 12-04-2010 02:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Lash Russell

Hello Timeforwalkies,

I posted this note earlier in the week under another topic it sounds like you may not  have seen it.   I checked the flywheels I have and I have two with the DA21785 stamped on them with 20H2 and 26L4 after respectively.  I have two others with 7199397 cast in.  Mine are all extremely dirty and hard to 100% confirm if the ring gears are machined into the casting or pressed on bit it looked, at first inspection without solvent cleaning them, that they have ring gears slipped on because of the machined outer surface and what looks like a slight groove where the ring gear would sit into.

Does anybody have insight as to why there are different casting numbers in the flywheels (DA21785 Vs. 7199397)?

Hope this helps.

Lash

Posted: 12-09-2010 01:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
superk83

I'm curious to know what that trans sold for... I'm working on a Locost 7 and need a donor... Selling my Getrag 5spd for that much could fund the rest of my build!!!

Posted: 12-09-2010 01:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
JodyKerr

The Getrags vary wildly on sale price. I've seen 'em go *really* high, but that's not a frequent occurrence these days. You'd likely get 3 or 4 hundred for it at best right now. And then you'd need a transmission. :)

Personally, I'd keep it. Depending on what rear end you put into that thing it'd be a *killer* gearbox come trackday. :)

Posted: 12-09-2010 02:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
superk83

There are a couple of complete but beat mk2 Supras for sale locally for around $500 each... I'd get the w58+ a 4.10 irs with an lsd... If I could even get close to that for the trans, the trade off may be worth it...

I'm wanting the Supra rear with whatever trans I use... would the gearing still be in the sweet spot, so to speak, with the 4.10 with the Getrag? Above, guys are mentioning using 3.73, which seems really tall to me. But I've never driven a Jensen...lol!

Last edited on 12-09-2010 02:07 pm by superk83

Posted: 12-09-2010 03:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Steve Johnson

I put the w-58 into my JH, 2.2l with the 3.73 stock rear end, works great, reduced rpm at 70mph by about 800 rpm.  You would have to get a bellhousing to mate the transmission to the 907, available from lobitsbits.com this was from the lotus excel that used the w-58 transmission.  Good luck.

Steve

Posted: 12-09-2010 03:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
JodyKerr

Steve,

Aside from the Bellhousing did you need to do anything else for the modification?

Jody

Current time is 10:54 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 5-Speed Getrag Value? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems