Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
JH Winter Storage  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-28-2008 07:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Rob Rawe

As winter season draws near in the Midwest (Illinois) and I prepare to store the JH 14120, I often wonder if it is better to leave it sitting on the tires or to raise it and place it on jack stands to take the tension off the springs and shocks.   I would appreciate any comments regarding storage. 

Rob Rawe

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-28-2008 09:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

Rob, not so much a concern for the springs and shocks, as it is for the tires. The tires can flat spot when sitting in one place for a long time. However driving the car a few miles usually makes any flat spots go away. If the oil has not been changed recently, change the oil and filter. This helps reduce any moisture that the oil has absorbed. Be sure to put some Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer in the tank and run the car for awhile before storing. Make sure the battery is fully charged, then disconnect it. Better yet, get a Battery Tender trickle charger which keeps the battery in shape while storing. Hopefully you can store it inside. If not, be sure it is covered well. Gary

Posted: 11-28-2008 09:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensenman

I suggest raise the car up and place it on jackstands, but put the stands under the suspension. This keeps the tires from flatspotting. The reason for putting the stands under the suspension and not the car: if the suspension hangs free, the rubber bushings are twisted. In the same way that tires can flatspot, the rubber can take a set. Then next spring when the car is put back on the wheels the suspension bushings can be damaged. If the car has urethane suspension bushings then the suspension can either hang free or be loaded by putting the stands under the suspension.

Gary's comments on the Battery Tender, changing the oil and adding Sta-bil are right on the money. I'll add: keep the fuel tank full. If it's stored with the tank near empty, moisture can condense inside the air gap between the fuel level and the top of the tank.

Last edited on 11-28-2008 09:04 pm by Jensenman

Current time is 09:59 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > JH Winter Storage Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems