Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Lawrence Tod

So my clock is not working...suprise surprise!
Though while I was installing the replacement light switch from Delta,S.W.W.B.O. said she saw thesecond hand sweep fron the six to the eleven position.

Has any one had any luck by way of taking it out and interfering with it? (cleaning, hammering,etc...)

Lawrence JH11211

Mark Rosenbaum

Intermittent clock operation seems to be typical.  I've had mine apart, but that was years ago.  ISTR (but am not certain) that it involved prising off the chrome bezel.  In any event, it wasn't all that hard to dismantle.

In my case, I blew out a fair amount of dust, lightly lubricated the various moving parts, then applied power.  The clock worked for about 15 seconds then quit.  Disgusted, I put it back together and reinstalled it in the dash.  Then, weeks later, I happened to glance at the clock, and noticed that it was working -- intermittently, to be sure, but working nonetheless.  Now, several years later, it seems to work all the time, and loses only about an hour a month.  Maybe it just took a long time for the lubrication to reach the bad parts.  Or maybe it's still intermittent and works only when I'm looking at it....

FWIW, there's an article titled "VDO Kienzle Clock Movement Testing, Adjustment & Repair" at  http://www.aircooledtech.com .  While this deals with the clocks used in Volkswagens, I'd imagine they are fairly similar to the one in the JH.

Finally, there have been various attempts at sticking a modern mechanism behind the existing faceplate.  I don't have links for these but they shouldn't be all that hard to find via your favorite search engine.

George

There is actually an article on JH clock inards replacement in one of the JH mags that is archived in the tech section.  I printed out a copy, but the copy does not have a date on it.  Anyway, if you scroll thru the tables of contents, I'm sure you can find it.  Clock repair is on my list, too.

Lawrence Tod

Thanks Mark;

AS always you are a wealth of Knowledge of all things knownst only to the Prince of Darkness.

I will follow the link and give her a whirl on the weekend.

Lawrence
JH 11211

colinw59

My clock like yours was correct twice a day! I got a used one of Ebay that was not as advertised, it didn't work either. The seller took it back without a problem. I have an acquaintance, Don Day, who was very involved in JHs back in the day. He has a huge inventory of parts including 2 complete cars that have been in his garage for 20 years, with the intention of restoring them. Sound familiar? I gave him a wish list of odd bits I needed. So now I have a working clock.

This is not the point of the posting though! A friend of mine, JHPS member Matt Witmer, who also has a 74 JH and lives nearby, had similar clock problems. So he took out the stepping motor and replaced it with a quartz unit from a 9v battery operated clock. He ran the leads out of the back of the clock housing and runs it off a 9v battery, disconnecting it when he puts it in storage for the New England winter. Although I guess you could put a resistor in-line and run it straight off the car battery.

Bill Rister

It has been nearly a year since you posted and I hope your clock is now working.   If not, here is what I did.    The clock probably hadn't worked for years when I bought my Jensen.   Mine is the type mounted in the lower left of the dash.   It simply slips forward and out.  I removed it, disconnecting the leads.    Then I disassembled the housing, exposing the mechanism ..as I recall the dial and bezel remained intact.
Now I've had an alarmist in the past cry out "that's dangerous!  That stuff in flammable!"    Most things we use as solvents are so take precautions.
In an open ventalated area, away from any open flames, use ordinary rubbing alcohol and Q-Tip swabs to wipe all the working surfaces you can get to in the mechanism.  Don't forget to touch the areas where pins revolve on the brass.   This will remove years-old dried oil and gunk.
After the mechanism has had sufficent time to air dry, use swabs moistened with a light machine oil such as 3-In One (I haven't tried it, but silicone lube may do the job too) to lightly touch bearing surfaces.   Don't soak the areas, just lightly dab with the lubricant.
Connect the mechanisim to the 12v leads and give the flywheel a light spin.  
Sit and watch for awhile...   the clock should keep on working .
Reassemble the case to the clock, reinsert in the dash, connect the wiring and you should be up and running.
Due to some physical problems I have not been able to even start my Jensen for nearly a year.   Just yesterday I recharged the dead battery, glanced at the clock and it was running.   I set it to the correct time and this morning it is still showing the correct time.

mdutch

I had mine rebuilt in England by a guy who does vacuum instrument & tach work.  Fairly reasonable.  There's now quite a few places doing classic tach rebuilds and most of them do clock work.

In addition, here's a link to a Kienzle Rebuild article on a Ghia board

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems