Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > JH- Door Hinge Removal - Giant Phillips Head Screws

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
JH- Door Hinge Removal - Giant Phillips Head Screws  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-23-2008 01:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Triplesn8s

Hi All,

I am going to take the doors of the shell tonight but am immediately stymied by the Phillips head screw holding the hinges to the body.  The hinges are in great shape but maybe they never go bad in which case I would just let them go with the shell.  Should I try to save the hinges?

Any tips on removing these screws without resorting to the drill?

Bill

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-23-2008 01:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JodyFKerr

Those "big screws" are #3 phillips head.

Don't bother with a screwdriver. If you've got some old-school tools out in the garage, see if you have an impact driver (It's a hammerable cylinder that rotates the screw head with impact). I often find that these old tools work best on old cars. :)

If that doesn't work, try an electric impact driver. Modern version of above.

If you don't want to wreck the whole thing, you can detach the hinge at the door instead. Those are (iirc) 13 mm bolts.

That also gives you much better access to the screws.

Jody

Posted: 10-23-2008 02:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Art DeKneef

About half of mine I was able to loosen with just a large screwdriver and muscle. This was after spraying some Kroil on the screws.

The remaining ones I used one of those hand-held impact drivers. It had a large Philips bit included and after a few hits from the hammer they were able to be loosened with the large screwdriver.

Posted: 10-23-2008 02:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
colinw59

On 15851 I had to resort to using an impact driver preceeded by some WD40. Some came out easily, while others offered a lot more resistance and finally relented after a stern talking to! When I put the car back together I located some coutersunk allen screws and used those (along with a lot of anti seize) instead of the old philips type. Not that I ever expect to take them out again! Good luck, Colin

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851

Posted: 12-05-2018 12:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
noomg

Bill,

I assume since it's been ten years since your original post one way or another you've solved your problem. For those who may run into this problem in the future there's a relatively simple way to solve this problem. Find a Phillips screwdriver that fits the screw and a hand sledge, spray the screws with a penetrant, center the screwdriver in the screw, whack it a few times, that usually takes care of the problem. I did this just recently on my J-H, it also worked on my Austin-Healey.

Posted: 12-05-2018 05:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
redracer

Those are #4 cross point screws that take a #4 pozidriv screwdriver bit. A hand impact driver with a #4 regular Phillips bit will work fine.
You will find much use for the hand impact driver(try to get the 3/8" one and not the larger 1/2" one) especially with the many #2 & #1 pozidriv screws. The bits can be found online(Google it) with the really tough ones(I highly recommend) coming from Germany, such as WERA, and WIHA(excellent quality)

Current time is 07:59 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > JH- Door Hinge Removal - Giant Phillips Head Screws Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems