Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Gauge sizes  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-23-2008 12:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jcdean

I have decided to update the entire instrument cluster.  I did a search, but I would still like to hear what size and make of instruments seemed to be the best fit in the Jensen dash?

Joey

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-23-2008 01:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
jgreen

Hi Joey,

If you don't find steering away from the original instruments..... and no insult to those smith gauge faithful followers. I have found the 2 1/16 size instruments( small ones) easy to locate with plenty of styles. Autometer and Autogauge make some nice ones. Autogauge probably comes closest to the original, but I am not sure of how they look illuminated at night. Autometer has a TON of gauges which will fit and the hard part seems to be deciding which ones would look best. Autometer has an excellent reputation and the Phantom line looks nice or the ultra light line looks great also for a silver dial. The Phantom II line looks beautiful as the illumination is quite striking at night.  For a black gauge, the autoguage line looks nice as well as the sport comp 2 line from autometer.

The 3 1/8 size gauge for the tach and Speedo is more difficult. There is a paucity of choices here as it is a rare size. Autometer makes Product number 1488 ( speedometer) and Product # 1478 ( tachometer) as the close styles to original which are available.

Interesting question, there are many options out there. Your thoughts would be appreciated also.

John

Posted: 09-12-2009 12:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brianl1973

Joey

This gauge looks like a good solution to my non-op speedo, do you know which sending unit to use?

Brian

Posted: 09-12-2009 01:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jgreen

Brain,

Here is a picture of my VDO ... located here http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type=Speedometer&Series=Vision&Units=E

It is a direct replacement and the 120mph version. I love it because it no longer has the speedometer wobble, and is adjustable depending on the tire size. Mine is a electronic sender which is a cinch to hook up to the Toyota 5 Speed ( no more cable). I believe they have the mechanical option also available for the JH transmissions.

Last edited on 09-12-2009 01:46 am by jgreen

Posted: 09-12-2009 02:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brianl1973

Looks great (very simular to factory speedo). Do you remember which sending unit applies to the Jensen Healey?

Posted: 09-12-2009 10:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
jgreen

Brian,

I don't have a mechanical cable, but I copied this info for the website. Apparently the unit will work fine with an adapter.

My vehicle currently has a cable drive speedometer. How do I set it up to work with a programmable speedo?

If you take your speedometer cable to a local speedometer shop, they should be able to install an upper end that will match the 340-011 pulse generator. This is the easiest and best way to hook up an electronic speedometer in a vehicle that was equipped for a mechanical speedometer. For VW applications, the SN16-VWCAB kit will give you everything you need.

Posted: 09-12-2009 07:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Brianl1973

Thanks. I'll attempt this conversion & let you know how it comes out

Current time is 07:55 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Gauge sizes Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems